Boys trip to Oswego 7/20-7/22

Got to do a quick three day trip to Oswego with my son, brother-in-law and my nephew this past weekend. We showed up around 11 AM on Saturday in fished until about 5 PM when the wind started to blow.  We went five for six and never really found a pattern as they were hitting both flyers and spoons of different colors. The thermocline was only 61 feet down and the fish all came from this area. Sunday morning we launched at 5 AM and immediately knew from the waves it would probably be a short day. By 7 AM  I tipped my hat to Lake Ontario as she had built waves larger than I was willing to fish in. So we took our medicine and motor back into the harbor having gone 0 for 1.  We got to explore the town and some bait shops and had a really great lunch at Lakeside restaurant called Rudy’s that an old college buddy of mine from the area recommended. You all have a very cool town!

Monday we were on the water by 4:30 AM and hung out in the harbor until it was light enough to see debris in the water and then we motored out. The morning was tough as the lake was still stirred up from the wind the previous day but we made it to our spot and set up.  The thermocline we discovered was all the way down at 101 feet. It was definitely a strong current on the lower half of the water column as my instruments were indicating that I was going 4 knots across the top of the water and the speed at the ball was zero. After a few line tangles we realized we needed to go perpendicular to the current so our gear would work better. The rain started at 7 AM and we were drowned rats when it stopped at 1 PM. We had two in the boat at this point when the skies stopped raining and the wind died down. The afternoon bite was incredible. We went 5 for 6 in two hours with the  three smaller fish coming at 101 feet. Strangely the three larger fish came on the Dipsy diver down around 60 feet in 62° water. We discovered that glowing green anything spoons were the best. Nothing on flies and nothing on meat rigs. Moonshine green jeans glow and another spoon with similar colors that I pulled out that I mainly use on Lake Champlain for lake trout seem to take all the fish.  By 3 PM we had enough fish to fill our coolers including my personal best fish ever, a 37” 24lb king! We needed to start on our five hour trip back to Burlington Vermont, So reluctantly we did so. 

I’d like to say thank you to the many wonderful people who spoke with us at the ramp and out on the water. We really enjoyed the enthusiasm and tips from the people we spoke with. You indeed have a very special fishery there. 

Until next time, tight lines. 

D55DF306-2FEE-4AF4-AEFB-C97E6F615147.jpeg

B1CCF886-80D3-4246-8AFE-82078D550F4C.jpeg

0432E2E9-6EF4-40FA-98AB-A75799CABC62.jpeg

2210B2C0-8233-4172-84AB-AA3BFCA5D1FF.jpeg

999B154D-6801-4D49-8720-F8467922D601.jpeg

75DD613E-2A4E-4B9F-8B13-E755270C259B.jpeg

536F94F2-DFF4-4E19-A6F8-6FE0DD6C6F4F.jpeg

0A518F5F-C082-48B2-94E9-6C7DB04F8AC6.jpeg

D856F752-8AB2-4A95-A3B7-3B90557EC7BF.jpeg

Edited by Del Gue
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, charb said:

Kinda makes you not want to fish Champlain don't it......I'm the guy that was talking to Larry yesterday on the phone. The biggest one the wife got was 27 1/4 ...congrats glad it turned on for ya...

Thanks for the tips yesterday. Once we changed the setup, rods started firing! Yeah, I still love Champlain but nothing can compare to that experience.