Niagara River

gottadownsize

Saturday nite at the end of the day on a tip that the walleye bite gets good soon on the river, I took two fat 20 inch walleye on three drifts around sunset bottom bouncing worm harness in 20 fow. Wind was perfect for the drift. Thanks to the person who put the picnic table near the flooded boat ramp. 

Tough fishing current snags, etc. Also the river fishermen tend to keep things to themselves. However all said and done lots of walleye in the river some very big ones to.

I grew up on it. On American side Stella niagara drift and the coast guard station drift at the mouth were consistent. A couple of my favorites are on the Canadian side. There’s a back drift ( curls and flows backwards) over by the Canadian sand docks opposite Lewiston. Not a long drift but a big favorite. Further down river there’s one we called the Jackson drift. It’s opposite Stella niagara and down river a little bit. Most of your time in all except the back drift is in 30...35’ with a good current. It’s tough holding bottom but ya gotta do it to be successful. I drift dived most of those I mentioned about 10 years ago. There were groups of 3 or 4 walleye all over...never more that a few inches off botttom and always pointed into the current. Some true slobs. Saw sturgeon too. The end of July was always when we started fishing the walleye...it only gets better through August and later. We used to get a few off the mouth and I hear it’s gotten better out there than before.