Tow network

HB2

After getting a call from a friend today and being 1.5 hrs away  , getting towed in myself and towing others in , it has occurred  to me we should establish a network of guys on here that can be contacted to lend a tow .

Luckily I gave him a number to call and the guy was out fishing near him and it worked out . But what if no one was? 

That lake can look big and lonely with no power to get back , especially in a rough sea. 

Kind  of sucks to have to pull lines on a hot bite , but I would have zero problems doing it . 

Each port could have a,network of guys . 

Any thoughts ?  

I have the membership through Boat US but would and always have been willing to  tow someone in.  Have been towed in twice this year, fingers crossed hoping the issue has been solved but it stinks to go dead in the water.

• Like 2

All of us Sandy guys work together to tow each other.  I would never leave someone stranded. I have came from home to go out and get someone in the past.  I have seen the BYC towing guys in before also.  Not sure what their policy is. 

• Like 1

I've had different experiences with towing people in. Once I was thanked profusely and had my fuel tank refilled. Another time the towed people just walked away without even saying thank you. Yet another time while towing somebody in, I became an involuntary witness to two guys screaming at each other in front of their wives and children about who was to blame for the boat not working as it should. A friend in need is one thing, a stranger , I don't know.

I pay my yearly Boat USA membership which for $150 gives me on the water towing to home port and road side trailer towing to my home. And that is hard to beat.

Edited by rolmops

4 hours ago, whaler1 said:

I have the membership through Boat US but would and always have been willing to  tow someone in.  Have been towed in twice this year, fingers crossed hoping the issue has been solved but it stinks to go dead in the water.

Whaler, Did that happen with your new ride?

Yep. Fuel delivery issue. At this point the entire system has been replaced. Think there was a small leak in the metal tube that goes down into the tank. Time will tell.
Motor runs flawlessly but both times it was fuel starved.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just now, whaler1 said:

Yep. Fuel delivery issue. At this point the entire system has been replaced. Think there was a small leak in the metal tube that goes down into the tank. Time will tell.
Motor runs flawlessly but both times it was fuel starved.

I have been having fuel wows this year too Bill.  Hopefully we have it figured out now.  The pick up tube in the tank was plugged with crap.....  I hate being towed in. 

Out with my daughter in the am. She’s gone out on it twice and both times was towed in lol. If it happens again tomorrow she’s never going out again!

9 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Out with my daughter in the am. She’s gone out on it twice and both times was towed in lol. If it happens again tomorrow she’s never going out again!

Good luck Bill.  I will be out Thursday, Friday and Saturday for the Shootout! 

46 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Keep in mind the new boat is 32 years old. The motor is 13 years old. All in all still thrilled with the boat.

32 years is nothing for a whaler. Those rigs are built to last a hundred years

I had to be towed in 2 years ago first time out in front of plant cat fish had a friend come get us I gave him all I had in my wallet $200.00 it was worth every penny as i was craping my pants with sons on board .i would tow anyone at this time Thank you 

I have boat us with trailer assist for 99.00 a yr. it would cost half that to get towed for gas. in the last 4 yrs i've been towed once, had my boat and trailer towed off I-75 down in ky. had a service truck come out and change a tire on my truck at no cost to me. in the long run its worth the 99.00 just for the piece of mind.

• Like 1

I towed someone thinking it was "my turn".   I was an 18' he was a 23' or so with an outdrive and couldn't steer to save his ass.  All went well but I added some grey hairs coming in the inlet and going up the river and won't do that again.  I was fortunate to have 2 on board with me to assist, but don't always.  The boat I towed was poorly maintained IMO and in retrospect I'm aggravated about it.  

I have Boat US myself, all should have a contingency.  I run a 20' boat now and I'm not unwilling to help but I'm going to think it through in a different if there is a next time including making a call to the CG vs towing.  My boat/crew safety and potential damage / injury to others is primary.    I feel I was lucky nothing bad happened in retrospect. 

back in the days before I got boat us I have towed a couple and been towed a couple of times. never had any problems with the towing. but my youngest son almost lost a finger when the line came tight in rough water when we was getting towed. if the guy driving the tow boat goes slow then backs off and makes a hard turn the boat being towed will coast right up to the dock.

I just got towed in last night. I gave the guy $20 and a bag full of worm harnesses. Wish it was more but that was all the cash I had on me. Luckily we were in the river and it wasn’t too far. I’ve towed a few in and would like to think any of us would do it.

21 minutes ago, garrymny said:

Why is there such a price variance on these posts. Boat US we have folks saying from $99 to $200 a year?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are four different towing packages offered, that may have something to do with it

In my case the variance has to do with me probably buying some other stuff at West Marine when I renewed my towing insurance this February.

I'm sure the exact price for the same service is the same all over.

Before you sign up though, you should inquire whether the service is offered in your area. Lake Ontario is covered, I'm not so sure about the Finger Lakes.

Edited by rolmops