Longer rod will give you more seperation in your spread and afford you the opportunity to run longer leads off the diver.

I run 8' 6" Okuma wire divers and a 10' 6" Okuma power pro diver. The 10' 6" is a little cumbersome due to the size of my boat but it gets the diver well outside the downriggers.

DAN

My .02$ says it has a lot of it has to do with your set-up. If you have a smaller boat it might be hard to store the 10'6" rods. I have found out that with my Scotty riggers extended all the way a 9'6" Daiwa Heartland wire rod will rub the cable at times. If your running 4-5' booms on your outside riggers then you may want to go with a 10'6" Heartland. Like stated in a previous post the longer rod will also allow you to stretch your leaders back more which can produce a lot better at times.

From a cost perspective the Daiwa Heartland rods are a great buy at around 30 bucks. The company isn't going anywhere, and can replace a busted up rod if that ever presents itself. I have been running their Heartland rods for well over 10 years. They are a very reliable rod.