Is it worth it?

Hey all, I'm heading up to Sodus Bay this Sunday and staying for a week with the family. The cottage we have rented has a dock but, it is now under water. I have a 20' Grady that I was gonna drag up and dock it there. Question is, is it worth dragging up from philly area if I'm going to need to drop in and out everytime I want to go out? Thanks for your thoughts...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is this a serious question? Fishing is better than no fishing. You trailer the boat up and take it to the launch every single day weather permitting. If the launch is closed due to high water you go to the next launch. On the way up, just make sure you stay on the turnpike as far as you can. I81 around Scranton is a mess with construction and narrow lanes.

Krenzers, fowlers, arneys, sodus bay marina,can all probably dock ya. Depends on where the cottage is. Do you have an idea of where on sodus bay it is? Krenzers is closest to the channel then probably fowlers. I believe its still no wake on the bay so it takes a little bit to get out of the channel. 

Thanks, all. We are up on the east side, south of Eagle Island. I guess that was part of my hesitation, the long run out to the lake. I'll be stuck dropping in and pulling out basically by myself. (My wife is less than useless...lol) I've got a buddy coming up on Wednesday so maybe you're right, any fishing is better than no fishing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can still tie to a submerged dock if you use the wind to keep the boat off, and set an anchor off the other side to keep it off the dock.  If they have blue barrels filled with water on the dock (lots of us do right now) slide a few of the barrels over so they're hanging off the edge of the dock a little and they work nicely to keep the boat away from the dock.   Keep an eye on the winds and forecast of course, (we pull the boats in the evening if the wind is kicking up) but the breeze usually quiets down at night, you won't have to pull em every night.

Also, make sure your anchor is set well and there's plenty of scope.  When you go out just tie a boat cushion to the anchor rope as a marker and snag it with the boat hook when u come back in.  Some people use 2 anchors, one stern one bow.  It works!  

If you are hesitant or have to ask if it is worth it, my answer would be probably not.  Save the costs of trailering, dockage, ect and take a charter or two. 

No hassles, might cost a tad more (unless you have a flat, boat motor issue ect), and most likely will catch more fish.

I respectfully disagree w Captain Carl, as two charters will probably cost you more than your entire cottage rental for the week.  On top of that, just floating, relaxing, swimming, tubing the kids etc is a huge part of boating.  If you don't bring your Grady you're going to regret it.  (Just make sure those trailer bearings are good before you roll out!)

..... one other thing I forgot to mention in my previous post,  that blue plastic barrel system works really well, you'd only need two.  We put them on the docks and fill em with water from the hose (or bring a little submersible pump) and the weight keeps the wave action from getting under the docks and lifting them, which can crush the docks in a bad blow.  If they arent using any barrels to prevent this (they should be) you can find them for $15 each on craigslist near Sodus.  The apple industry uses tons of them and they're everywhere.   Go get a pair, fill em to the top and position them just over the edge of the dock about 10 feet apart.  They will keep your boat off just fine.  Tie to the cleats as u normally would even though they're underwater it doesnt matter.  We've been using our docks all summer this way.  P.s.  if you dont have a pump just bring a jigsaw and cut the entire top off the barrels, get the kids a bucket and 50 scoops later she's all filled up and weighs 400 lbs.

Just be sure to get the barrel in position as u add the water because once they're filled you can't move em!

Well....I ended up leaving her at home. An hour on the road and full on regret set in, of course. I talked to a buddy from up this way and he said the no wake zone was still in effect. Strike one. Talked to the owner of the house/dock and they said a previous renter brought their boat and docked it but the bigger waves beat it up. Strike two. Had to divert during our trip up adding a few hours to the trip. Strike three. 

Of course, since we arrived I've been watching people water skiing, tubing and just generally tearing around the bay. WTF? 

So, my other buddy is supposed to come up Wednesday. I called him and told him to run by my place and bring the boat with him. Unfortunately, before I left the house, I put a new locking pin on the trailer and the keys are sitting in my center console. Here. With me. FML.

THANKS ANYWAY EVERYONE!