Spoons for sliders?

Think about what happens when you bring in the flasher/fly with slider option even without a fish the slider leader will be wrapped around the fly set-up so why give yourself a needless headache?:lol: As far as the conventional slider/main line setup: some of it depends on what you want to achieve. For example if you want the spoon on slider to actively go up and down some on the main line while trolling use lighter weight spoons that will want to slide up and down a little better on the main line. Heavier spoons tend to nest more securely in the bow of the main line. Slider leader length can also influence action of a given lure (e.g. 2 ft. vs. 8 ft).

I very rarely put a spread out that doesn't include free sliders. I usually will stack spoons on separate rods above F/F and run free sliders on the spoon rods, usually Evil Eyes. I get my share of Kings taking the deep spoons and usually steelheads, browns or coho  taking the sliders. 

Edited by Firechief48

5-10' depending on lenth I put the spoon off the release. Usually I'll run the FF 10-15' and the spoon back 20-25' back. Every now and then I'll run the spoon 50' or more then I'll stack them 10'

You can put a slider above a flasher but you need a stop for slider to get hung on so it won’t get into the flasher. A barrel swivel with a clear bead 5-6’ in front of the flasher serves multiple purposes. One, it prevents line twist (esp with 10” flashers). Two, it collects weeds and fleas keeping your flasher swivel clean and functional. Three, it serves as a stop for the slider. If I want to check a rig, I don’t pop the release. Just bring the rigger up until you can grab the cheater first. 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, hookedupf7 said:

Just wondering if anybody runs flasher fly on the bottom? Or to much of a mess? Also bigger spoon on top or bottom?

A member here (troubles is his name I think) makes fixed "slider" clips that work well. I would only ever run a fixed slider spoon with a FF. It's a huge mess when you tell someone to put a free slider on the port rigger and they don't know which side is port and they guess wrong!

Edited by FishingFool34

1 hour ago, Pa223 said:

For those that stack lines (two poles on 1 rigger) how much trouble do you have with tangles when the deep pole goes

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never had that problem myself, I think it's more likely to tangle other poles if you run a longer lead and turn too quick. I have had both poles go on the same rigger more than once.

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

Why stack poles when you can just run a fixed cheater on the same rod?

Some like fixed cheaters, I myself like the free sliders that run higher. I would also rather have another pole that stays in the water for possibly another hookup..