East Fork Barberian's SCS July 27th

We set Nothing But Net down off the can at Wautoma in 80 fow around 5:15 am and started a slow troll to the NE. The stiff South wind made it tough getting the coppers set off the big boards, but the triple on kings made it even tougher! We managed to land them all and missed another shot in the process, but unfortunately had a passer-by see the action while blowing past us, spin a turn, and set up on our stern. That made it difficult to get back around on the fish, but hey...it's everybody's water out there. Hopefully some of the fish they picked up contributed to their winning box lol. 

Anyway, when we did get turned around and back to our waypoint, we had a few more minor fire drills but nothing like first light. By that time, the boat traffic was beginning to get crazy so we boogied North. I think we did two back and forth trolls out to 350 fow and managed a few teens and one upgrade on a 400 foot copper that hit so hard it shook the boat. We missed a couple of rips on wire Dipsys that I'd like to get back, too, and had some chromers up to ten pounds that we released. The next few hours were a grind. We slipped back inside hoping that the late morning bite from the day prior would rematerialize. Around ten minutes after making the comment that our high divers had been a waste of space that day, one of them takes off with a good fish and we have another kicker for our box. Then another steelhead, and that was the day. 

The final breakdown for our four kings was 85 pounds, which was good enough for sixth place, with the larger fish all coming on meat - and I can't say enough about John King's plastic heads for whole bait and strips. They run exceptionally well without tuning. Our two biggest kings were within 0.03 lb of each other at 24.2 lbs apiece. We had a great time on the boat with lots of good munchies and bad jokes (someday we'll have to tell Brian how we set him up using his "secret spoon"). I especially want to thank the organizers of the tournament for putting on a great show, as always, and running a seamless weigh in. Whoever paid off the guy upstairs got their money worth, because the weather was exceptional. I think that with the notable exception of the very first Shootout where we had East wind and only a single mature weighed in, there's been great weather nearly every year.and big boxes. Congratulations to all of the teams who placed, showed, or just enjoyed the weather and camaraderie! These are the best of times...

• Like 1