Trolling Attractors

I’m interested in learning more about trolling dodgers, spinners and cowbells. Specifically, Can I connect theses attractors to the downrigger balls and lines and run a release off of them or do I have to run them inline on the rod? I’ve used them inline on the rods but would like to use them on the balls and lines to avoid the gear on the rods. Any help? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:36 AM, Pulling Lines said:

I’m interested in learning more about trolling dodgers, spinners and cowbells. Specifically, Can I connect theses attractors to the downrigger balls and lines and run a release off of them or do I have to run them inline on the rod? I’ve used them inline on the rods but would like to use them on the balls and lines to avoid the gear on the rods. Any help? Thanks.

I usually run one of my downrigger balls with a Yakima Fish Flash connected to it. About six inches behind the ball. Then I will clip in a bare spoon on the downrigger release just above the ball. I use short leads when I do this, only 6 to 8 feet behind the ball. The idea is the attractor will draw them in, and they will hit the spoon. It really works.  I usually put a carbon 14 spoon on this rig. I also run the attractors  (Spin Doctors and paddles) inline like normal on dipseys and coppers and my other downrigger. I also like the plastic drag free attractors from Macks, in front of a spoon. https://www.mackslure.com/products/fishing-dodgers-flashers-attractors-trolling/?ref=87&name=flash-lite®-troll-|-4-blade-series