Line twist

I have a problem while stream fishing with line twist. It only happens when I use inline spinners (rooster tail, mepps type). I've got a quantum spinning reel with 11 ball bearings loaded with either 4 or 6# line (I've used all brands), using crane, sampo or ball bearing swivels. My 1st thought was that I was doing something wrong when putting the line on the spool, so I had the bait shops spool it with no change in the problem. If I don't use the above spinners I don't have any problems. It's not the reel as this just happens to be my present one but the problem has existed with others. I enjoy fishing with these type lures because of the vast amount of water I can cover in a short amount of time but I hate this line twist issue. Any thoughts as to a resolution without becoming strickly a fly guy.

Maybe try tying in a tiny barrel swivel to your main line and making a leader to your swivel so you can have 2 points of twist reduction...

Also, try letting your lure rest before your next cast as it will spin itself out of the twist it created...

I've done both of your suggestions. It does make things better but over the course of 5 to 6 continuous hrs of casting I've got problems. The hardest one to correct is the waiting between casts. I understand that once twist becomes present in the line removing it becomes next to impossible. I use about a 24" leader.

I never thought of heavier line, but that does make sense. I guess it will cut down on casting distance but if it corrects the twisting issue it's worth it. I would still use 4# flourocarbon leader so stealth shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the comment

is it popssible that the clevis in front of the spinner blade is locking up on you,thus twisting the line each time the spiner blade turns? may want to check the clevis on the entire package you bought very closely . you may have just gotten a bad batch.

you may have a burr on the rod that the blade rotates on causing it to lock up.

mike m

I have noticed clevis ploblems when debris is present on the water surface. This just makes the clevis not function and this makes the twisting issue unbearable. As a general rule I have not noticed any issues with the lures themselves. Thank you for the comment.