Jersey Shore

Arrived yesterday to begin a week with my wife’s family vacationing on the jersey shore. First timer here.  Brought my casting outfit so any tips anyone has for fishing the area, I am open to suggestions. My first attempt at fishing this morning was successful but got a little bit more than I bargained for. This morning saw me faced with big waves and outgoing tide. I had seen some YouTube vids on a double jig fluke rig so I rigged a bucktail jig on the bottom of a three way swivel and a lighter jig with a gulp curly tail on the longer lead. After a little casting I was able to catch an undersized striped bass ( my first ever). Saw a pod of dolphins come close so I figured they were herding bait. On one of my casts I hook into something SOLID and  the drag starts to peel towards England. A couple times I looked at my spool of braid to see if I was getting close to seeing metal. After a while of back and forth, I was making some gains using the wave timings to reel fast during surges. I had no idea what I had on but soon the beast was near. I caught little glimpses of color...bluefish? No maybe a Cobia???, false albacore??  I had the frying pan already turned on in my mind......and then I saw it,  a friekin’ stingray!!  Now what?  I was able to glide the ray in with in coming waves over to the side of the rock jetty nearby. Placing the butt of my rod up on the rocks above, I placed the tip of the rod onto the ray’s tail while removing the jig from its mouth. When I shook him loose, the goofy thing flipped over on its back and couldn’t right itself. By now the ruckus has attracted a small crowd that was concerned for the ray’s well being. The well intended human representatives advocated many suggestions while keeping their distance. I was able to use the butt of my rod to turn the ray over then gently push him out to deeper water. You never know what you are going to catch on the ocean. 

• Like 1

When I go down to the Carolinas and fish off the surf I use the fish finder rig.

Basically a 2-3oz pyramid sinker on a slide attached to your main line then a leader with a circle hook.

Use live bait and when you cast you free spool it so the baitfish can swim around and find the fish for ya. I’ve never fished the ocean that far north but would imagine it would work fine.

I tie a 24-36” 50lb mono leader and use 5/0-6/0 circle hooks. And the sinker slides you should be able to pick up at a bait shop.

Trick is to get the rig out past the break of the waves and hang on hope this will do some good for ya and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Day two was eventful again. I feel sorry for non-sportsman for things they miss. First light always brings the ocean to life. Today I had a bait pod come in and got to witness 30 dolphin get fired up and tear into them. Osprey and seabirds diving into the fray. Ended up catching a mackerel on a topwater plug but that was it. Water was too churned up from heavy surf to use jigs today. Back at it this evening if wind and waves cooperate. 

• Like 2

No pics as I am wading out in water in swim trunks. I did have something crawl up on my leg today while wading that made me screech like a school girl getting an instagram message from her favorite boy band. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No pics as I am wading out in water in swim trunks. I did have something crawl up on my leg today while wading that made me screech like a school girl getting an instagram message from her favorite boy band. 
Shark week giving you the heebie jeebies..

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was in LBI two weeks ago and landed 7 cow nose rays one morning and s few more broke off. I too fished the surf and caught small fluke and kingfish casting fluke rigs and a few small bluefish. Nothing spectacular but those rays certainly can pull. Incidentally one day there re dozens of the Rays visa blue in the surf. Next morning is when I caught a bunch. Had to switch from 10-20 lb test to handle them[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario UIMG_5492.JPGnited

Stone Harbor, about 3/4 mile from bridge over to wildwood. Got beat up again in the waves today. Is the surf ever calm around here?  Friekin’ crabs were biting my feet today when I stepped on their holes at low tide. Still looking for some pelagics. Very little bait within casting range. Quick hitters, with bait moving fast down the beach, usually out of casting range. No bait = no pelagics.  I have found a good challenge. 

Edited by Gill-T

Fished alot along the Jersey shore but not in that area. Take a ride down to the cape may inlet. On the north side you can access the jetty through the wildlife refuge. I have fished alot around that inlet and have done well. Bluefish, flounder, false albacore and other fish. You can fish anywhere along the rock jetty. The best fishing is usually 1 hour before the high tide to an hour after. But fish really like that inlet and you can usually catch all day. Be careful though the rocks can get slippery.

• Like 1

Good call. I checked it out today. Long walk to the jetty but beautiful area. Tomorrow’s excursion will involve me fishing this time. I saw this on a t-shirt in Cape May....

BC5D70FA-2DFD-4C02-A423-3A441A0C66A5.jpeg

Edited by Gill-T

Great morning today. Went to Cape May inlet early and was rewarded with a great dolphin show followed by great topwater action for stripers and bluefish. Kept a few blues to fry up. 

F80D83D1-CBB5-4A5D-8F79-8EE7D6A92699.jpeg

AC189834-2305-4E66-BF37-B2E61AA6C2D7.jpeg

97490196-4379-473D-9F63-4B00352A4722.jpeg

EDF8F594-F09A-4855-B201-B15BB1C78A48.jpeg

5927A9D4-EBDC-45C5-A1C0-9FB60FFB47BD.jpeg

• Like 3

They are delicious and were quickly consumed. They need to be eaten fresh or spoil. Zip the lateral line out and trim off remaining dark meat. Egg white wash, and coat with a white cornmeal/Panko/salt/ pepper mix then fry. Dip in cocktail sauce.