Hi Everyone,

I got on here about a year ago and just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and tips. I’ve made it out several times but I think this is my first report.

I fished out of Olcott early on Friday, 7/26 in my 13ft zodiac inflatable. No downriggers so I just use 2 rods with wire dipsy setups to a Double Deep Six diver that’s rated to go to 135 ft. Sometimes will run a long line with a banana sinker down the middle.

I had read some recent reports about people marking fish in closer and that’s what I saw about 5:30am when I was getting out there. Marking small bait pods and decent fish in 70 feet of water and out.

I was seeing everyone else head for deeper water and thought twice about it but I set up in 80ft with lines down approx. 50 and 70ft.

First king came within 10 minutes on a Carbon 14 spoon down 50ish in 90 ft of water. The next couple of hours was pretty consistent. Went 6 for 9 with a few other bites that didn’t hook up. Most of the action was on the spoon down 50-65 feet over 90-125 fow. The other rod was a white/green spin dr. with an atommik pro/am fly down 70-80 ft.

I was alone and in a tiny boat so I didn’t get the phone out much. I kept 3 kings in the mid to high teens. Released a few smaller kings, a couple decent steelhead, and broke off what felt like a huge king probably due to nicked leader from previous fish.

I made it out to about 180 fow and things slowed down by around 8:30am. By the time I came back through the shallower water I wasn’t seeing the same marks that I did earlier. I guess they moved out deeper.

It sounds like there are some decent fish to be had in around 100 fow fishing early or late in the day. At this point I’m not familiar enough to know where to find them out deep.

Thanks again for all the advice and information.

Good luck out there!

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_0507.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 4

That’s impressive.  I thought i was brave venturing out with my 16ft flat bottom river boat a few years back.  I’m sure is quite the experience pullin salmon in on that boat

Top pic is from San Juan Island in Washington state. It was the only pick I had handy that shows the boat setup.

I live in AZ but get a chance to travel a bunch in the summer for work and also my wife has a job at the Chautauqua Institute in the summers. I’ve got a couple real boats at home but it’s too much to tow them cross country.

The zodiac has been to the PNW, Sea of Cortez in Mexico, Lake Ontario, and Long Island Sound so I’ve got some miles on it. I watch the wind forecasts carefully and have redundant emergency gear (hand held VHF, GPS, tools, repair kit, pump, etc). I actually feel safer going out in this than my 14ft whaler-style fiberglass boat. I’ve taken a wave over the bow whole beach launching in Mexico that filled the thing with water and aside from getting soaked, it just meant opening the drain valve while under power and it all empties out. I know it’s not invincible but you’re not going to sink the thing unless you have multiple punctures. The 15hp Johnson runs low 20’s with a medium load but you’re getting pounded if there’s any sizable chop.

Just happy to be able to get on the water and catch some fish in different parts of the country.

IMG_0127.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Bigted,
Sorry if I crowded your spots. I was trying to steer clear of bigger boats’ trolling paths. Occasionally I’ll try to run parallel to guys that I would guess have down speed to see how different it might be.

When I hook a fish I usually turn away from the track of the other dipsy to avoid major tangles. So far so good. The boat’s only so wide and I would guess the other dipsy is at most 10 ft away side-to-side.

I keep arial flares with me just in case. I realize it’s hard to spot and I’ve actually had guys snoozing at the helm that have gotten pretty close before turning away.

Looks like Friday, 8/2 should be pretty calm so I’m planning to get out again. I’m generally stabbing in the dark but I’ve managed to get half a feel for the line angle of the divers I’m using, tracking fish/depth and speed-over-ground.

I might fish Friday morning/evening and then Saturday early before heading back to Chautauqua. Probably grab a nap in the truck overnight.

Is there a bar or restaurant around there that guys go to after getting off the water?

Hey Bigted,
Sorry if I crowded your spots. I was trying to steer clear of bigger boats’ trolling paths. Occasionally I’ll try to run parallel to guys that I would guess have down speed to see how different it might be.

When I hook a fish I usually turn away from the track of the other dipsy to avoid major tangles. So far so good. The boat’s only so wide and I would guess the other dipsy is at most 10 ft away side-to-side.

I keep arial flares with me just in case. I realize it’s hard to spot and I’ve actually had guys snoozing at the helm that have gotten pretty close before turning away.

Looks like Friday, 8/2 should be pretty calm so I’m planning to get out again. I’m generally stabbing in the dark but I’ve managed to get half a feel for the line angle of the divers I’m using, tracking fish/depth and speed-over-ground.

I might fish Friday morning/evening and then Saturday early before heading back to Chautauqua. Probably grab a nap in the truck overnight.

Is there a bar or restaurant around there that guys go to after getting off the water?

Covey’s Cove in Olcott, Wilson House in Wilson.

FYI you weren’t in our way. It was actually interesting seeing you there when we realized what you were up to. Another thought I had was the relative safety of that thing ! Safer than some of these other guys for sure...

Also, you were close to our speed when traveling parallel and we are usually running 2.4 to 2.8 on the down speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app