Please Help! Boat Boogin down.

Hachimo

Lookin for a direction to start diagnosing my problem.  I have a 1986 trophy 2460 and my past trip to Lake Ontario in june it felt as if it was boogin down on my way him. So with my honeymoon and a 4 day trip to mexico comin up at the end of august i took it out on lake wallenpaupck to see if it was gonna boog down at high rpm’s.  

It runs great at low rpms/trolling speed but when i speed up to over 1500rpms it starts cutting in and out.  Any ideas where to start? Carburetor cleaning? Distriberator?plugs wires? 

Any ideas would be much appreciated 

I’m the wrong person to listen to, hopefully people that know their stuff will comment soon, but I say cap and rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sounds like water in fuel drain carb bowl and replace fuel filter add dry gas when you remove fuel filter drain into a clear glass jar if there is water in it it will separate from fuel and it will be able to be seen at the bottom of glass jar .

• Like 1

I really appreciate all the feedback.  I asumed all the above.  Boat gotta be runnin 100% for the honeymoon.  Goin out tomarrow for plugs wires distributor cap n rotor.  Along with the dry gas.  Thanks again. 

Will I started cheep, with fuel filter then plugs wires  cap Roger then carb rebuild twice finally after $2000.00 bucks and two years back and forth to a mechanic a wire shorted out the spark advance that fixed it . Sorry not the best news if you a machanic would be cheeper , I am a so so one so I gave up took to a mach. He was off and on for two. Years 

My fiance is a mechanic at scranton dodge and I’m a jack of all trades/master of nothin.  Lol.  She knows diesel engines and newer gas engines and i am handy with a wrench so between us we should be able to get this thing figured out. I appreciate all the feedback. Gonna do a full tune up(wires,plugs,rotor,distributor cap) new fuel pump and new fuel filter. I couldn’t get the boat started yeaterday cause the filter was loose and suckin air so after I tightened it up it fired up.  Definetly seems to be a fuel issue.  Thanks again fellas

A few more easy fuel related issue checks:

• Make sure spiders / bugs / etc. isn't clogging your tank vent. This can cause a vacuum in your fuel tank which is more noticeable when you try to run (i.e. draw more fuel.)
  • Make sure your fuel line isn't collapsing on itself and restricting flow.
  • Replace your anti-siphon valve. This should be at the tank. Sometimes they get gummed up / clogged.

Do the simple things first like all the filters and tune up.   If your still having problems you might want to replace the small mesh filter in the carb.   The older Rochester carbs had them and are a potential culprit.

A tune up should be performed every other season at MOST.  It could be a tune up, plugged carb, plugged filter in at the carb or like I had this season, plugged pick up tube in the gas tank. 

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Get it fixed, get it bloody!!

Oh fixed or not its still gonna get bloody! I can still run around 1500-1800rpms before it boogs down and i can troll just fine. Also i just became a member of boat usa so if she dies out there my tow in is covered:lol:

• Like 1

I have a Volvo Penta and once was the timing, second time was water in the fuel. Both times 2800 RPM was the best I could do. 

For the water I put Heat in the recomended amount in the tank and it cleared it up. If it is water and you have an inline water seperator/filter make sure you change that or you won't get the required fuel through it. Also check to see if there's a cartridge/screen on the backside of the carberator. Check that also to make sure it's good. For timing I had a buddy with me and adjusted it under load on the water..

Edited by Firechief48