Trolling bucket example

I blew up a bucket today trolling into the rough water . I like to keep them out not only to reduce speed but to stabilize the boat  . These are a big a part of my equipment as my rods or downriggers.they are in and out of the water all day .   

I store them on my hardtop upside,down on the rocketlaunchers  and the sun probably doesn't help them . 

Took me  15 min to make 2 . 

Guys ask once in a while so here it is,. 

KIMG0824.jpg

KIMG0823.jpg

KIMG0822.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 5/8 or 3/4 spade bit 

No flotation 

I tie them off on my mid ship cleat and they Run on side of my boat 2/3 to 3/4 back from my bow . I had them so they were in front of my side riggers 

You want them so you can grab rope easily to put in or out . And wAke from boat Will kind of push them away from side a little . 

• Like 1

Well I been doing it since like 1980 and haven't had one I get into them yet , or at least what I can remember .

If they are not in the water and a good one hits and runs , I dump them both to slow down 

8 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

No they don't. I tie the rope off at the widest part of the boat. I don't tie them off in front of the steering wheel.

Buckets don't work as well as bags, especially with heavier fiberglass boats.

copy that.

will give a try...

thanks,

jetsled

• Like 1

i've tried buckets before. but they just never slowed me enough. I use bags now and run as slow as I want. just tie them off to the bow before launching and take them back and lay over the side until needed. drop them over the side and tie off the back of the bags. to move locations untie the backs and pull them in over the sides.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I used a 7 gal bucket on each side of my 19’ CC this year to slow my speed and it dropped my lowest idle speed from 2.6 mph to 2.2.  Upgrading to a kicker motor for next year but the buckets allowed me to fish my program for a year without spending money

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They are great for minor speed adjustments  . 

They also seem to grab the water and hold the boat down so the wind doesn't push it around as much and things stay consistent , if that makes any sense . 

I guess you have to see what works with your boat . 

8 hours ago, Bustersit said:

I bought a kicker I that I will be using in 2020. Is it smart to use bags with a kicker for any reason ?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would see no need to use bags with a kicker. you just wand the boat to slow down to trolling speed. the kicker should slow you down as slow as you want to troll. if for some reason your wanting to troll slower than you can get with the kicker then try using bags. but I would try using 1 bag before using 2.

now in the early spring we want to troll 1 to 1.5 for walleye on erie with cranks. then a bag might be needed. but for salmon I think you could get slow enough with a kicker even if you had to idle it down a little.