Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HB2

Trolling bucket example

I blew up a bucket today trolling into the rough water . I like to keep them out not only to reduce speed but to stabilize the boat  . These are a big a part of my equipment as my rods or downriggers.they are in and out of the water all day .   

I store them on my hardtop upside,down on the rocketlaunchers  and the sun probably doesn't help them . 

Took me  15 min to make 2 . 

Guys ask once in a while so here it is,. 

KIMG0824.jpg

KIMG0823.jpg

KIMG0822.jpg

• Like 2

Good post. I keep 2 Amish bags & 2 buckets in my boat.

You don't have to put anything in there for flotation? Also, how far back from the boat do you run them? The slowest I've been able to idle on a calm day is 2.9. I'd like to slow it down a little...

1" holes are fine. Don't run them past the transom of the boat. Keep them in front of the transom and where they won't get in the way of netting fish.

I use a 5/8 or 3/4 spade bit 

No flotation 

I tie them off on my mid ship cleat and they Run on side of my boat 2/3 to 3/4 back from my bow . I had them so they were in front of my side riggers 

You want them so you can grab rope easily to put in or out . And wAke from boat Will kind of push them away from side a little . 

• Like 1

Well I been doing it since like 1980 and haven't had one I get into them yet , or at least what I can remember .

If they are not in the water and a good one hits and runs , I dump them both to slow down 

No they don't. I tie the rope off at the widest part of the boat. I don't tie them off in front of the steering wheel.

Buckets don't work as well as bags, especially with heavier fiberglass boats.

8 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

No they don't. I tie the rope off at the widest part of the boat. I don't tie them off in front of the steering wheel.

Buckets don't work as well as bags, especially with heavier fiberglass boats.

copy that.

will give a try...

thanks,

jetsled

• Like 1

i've tried buckets before. but they just never slowed me enough. I use bags now and run as slow as I want. just tie them off to the bow before launching and take them back and lay over the side until needed. drop them over the side and tie off the back of the bags. to move locations untie the backs and pull them in over the sides.