DEC netting

Recently retired I’ve had time to nose around the dec fisheries station in Cape Vincent. Yesterday I was given heads up about them setting nets out in chaumont bay with them bringing the nets in this am. I just got back from hanging out while they sorted the catch. Very cool stuff!  There were lots of sheephead, perch up to 13”, and smallmouth(some slobs). What surprised me was the number of walleye. LOTS of em ranging from about 10” to about 10lbs. I guess my perception was that the walleye tend to spawn and leave in the spring...which many prob do...but sure as S a lot of em stay. It was pointed out to me that these fish were extremely well fed on gobies and shiners.  They sort all the fish, weigh and measure, fun loving and check diet if possible. I’m looking forward to next week as i finagled my way on ot the “Seth Green” netting trawler when they run nets out by Galloo. They run em deep out there which should bring in a diff mix. I mentioned the tracking that’s being done by the Canadians and was shown that we are doing that too...we have hundreds of submerged receivers all around the lake tracking walleye, lake trout and others. Again...very cool stuff. 

66E37652-2516-4912-8D50-5BCA21EE1D23.jpeg

05C1867D-BDBC-4DF0-ACDC-D641AF72C317.jpeg

• Like 1

Gill nets...everything dead. One guy mentioned they did netting up near grasse point last week and they got quite a few northerns. Strangely enough that was one thing missing from the chaumont bay nets. Not one northern..just one pickerel. It seems a shame that all the fish are dead but I guess in the whole scheme of things it’s prob a statistical zero impact on numbers  really helpful knowledge wise.  There were lots a game fish but there were also a lot of things like white perch, sheephead and a lot of gizzard shad...big ones .

3 hours ago, Getthenet2 said:

Yeah I’m all for the study of the Ontario eyes as their movements kind of fascinate me but it does suck to see fish dead

Can you observers find out from DEC whether or not these captured dead fish are taken home for meals or something (fertilizer, cat food, donated...)? Or are they just completely wasted after data is taken?  Of course if they are spoiled at all, no (except fertilizer). What do they do with them?

Edited by panfisher

10 hours ago, panfisher said:

Can you observers find out from DEC whether or not these captured dead fish are taken home for meals or something (fertilizer, cat food, donated...)? Or are they just completely wasted after data is taken?  Of course if they are spoiled at all, no (except fertilizer). What do they do with them?

I know when they net on Conesus, they give them away to anyone with a fishing license.  My buddy got free fish from them a couple years ago.  They will give you a legal limit of each species. 

I am glad to hear that Gambler.  As a state employee I know they are EXTREMELY sensitive to state employees benefiting from anything like that.  I could give you numerous examples where material is hauled off to landfills (at state expense) instead of allowing employees to put some of it to use.  I understand it, but it's sad.  So I am glad they can give some of these fish to the public instead of just tossing them.

Say hello to my best friend Alan Fairbanks for me. He is the Captain of the Seth Green.

Recently retired I’ve had time to nose around the dec fisheries station in Cape Vincent. Yesterday I was given heads up about them setting nets out in chaumont bay with them bringing the nets in this am. I just got back from hanging out while they sorted the catch. Very cool stuff!  There were lots of sheephead, perch up to 13”, and smallmouth(some slobs). What surprised me was the number of walleye. LOTS of em ranging from about 10” to about 10lbs. I guess my perception was that the walleye tend to spawn and leave in the spring...which many prob do...but sure as S a lot of em stay. It was pointed out to me that these fish were extremely well fed on gobies and shiners.  They sort all the fish, weigh and measure, fun loving and check diet if possible. I’m looking forward to next week as i finagled my way on ot the “Seth Green” netting trawler when they run nets out by Galloo. They run em deep out there which should bring in a diff mix. I mentioned the tracking that’s being done by the Canadians and was shown that we are doing that too...we have hundreds of submerged receivers all around the lake tracking walleye, lake trout and others. Again...very cool stuff. 

66E37652-2516-4912-8D50-5BCA21EE1D23.thumb.jpeg.e3939ea55f77fd9aa28b895430889ece.jpeg
05C1867D-BDBC-4DF0-ACDC-D641AF72C317.thumb.jpeg.50c0088bc8a7417d8afeb6ade73c5a51.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app