Old style Cannon bases

Last week while letting down my prob and ball on my older cannon Mag 10 down-rigger I heard a loud crunch sound, looked up and if it wasn't for my "cat like" reflexes grabbing for that rigger I would have lost everything ! I pulled it back in the boat and checked it out.

All 4 sides of the mount snapped off. The composite plastic shattered. I was shaky the whole rest of my trip out, worried about my other rigger. Well I looked at that base too and discovered cracks in that one also. When I got home I started looking on the internet for bases. I am as conservative as the next guy and Stainless bases caught my eye but the price quickly deterred me ! Well I found the newer rebuild kits  Cannon Downrigger - LOW PROFILE SWIVEL BASE UPGRADE KIT - 3881958  at Fish307.com. I installed them and they work great. There is an aluminum plate in them for added strength and durability. No more worries ! They were $25 with some shipping and well worth it. So, check your mounts ! It could be a costly over site.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeFro said:

Last week while letting down my prob and ball on my older cannon Mag 10 down-rigger I heard a loud crunch sound, looked up and if it wasn't for my "cat like" reflexes grabbing for that rigger I would have lost everything ! I pulled it back in the boat and checked it out.

All 4 sides of the mount snapped off. The composite plastic shattered. I was shaky the whole rest of my trip out, worried about my other rigger. Well I looked at that base too and discovered cracks in that one also. When I got home I started looking on the internet for bases. I am as conservative as the next guy and Stainless bases caught my eye but the price quickly deterred me ! Well I found the newer rebuild kits  Cannon Downrigger - LOW PROFILE SWIVEL BASE UPGRADE KIT - 3881958  at Fish307.com. I installed them and they work great. There is an aluminum plate in them for added strength and durability. No more worries ! They were $25 with some shipping and well worth it. So, check your mounts ! It could be a costly over site.

Had the exact same thing happen last Sunday.Were it not for my nephews quick reflex... my rigger would be at the bottom of the lake.

We took pics and sent the to Cannon and they have sent us the upgrade kit...no charge...We shall see how it works...Zeke  n  Cyn