Smoked lake trout?

I did try some smoked  Lake O lake trout once.  We caught some off the bar in Jan one year and kept a couple as an experiment . a friend of a friend smoked them up and I was not impressed. 

But, once while passing thru the UP in Mich I bought some smoked whitefish and lake trout and they were very good.

Lake Trout are very good, when treated properly.  When the fish gets in the boat, it should be bled and iced immediately.  Most of the "gamey" or "fishy" flavor that LT's carry is from poor handling.  As for smoking, I prefer to dry-brine my fish (2-3 parts brown sugar: 1 part kosher salt) for about an hour, and as mentioned, any discolored meat should be trimmed.  Smaller fish tend to be less gamey than their larger brethren, and are preferred when keeping for table fare.  There is no such thing as trash fish, just trash cooks.

• Like 3

Lake Trout are very good, when treated properly.  When the fish gets in the boat, it should be bled and iced immediately.  Most of the "gamey" or "fishy" flavor that LT's carry is from poor handling.  As for smoking, I prefer to dry-brine my fish (2-3 parts brown sugar: 1 part kosher salt) for about an hour, and as mentioned, any discolored meat should be trimmed.  Smaller fish tend to be less gamey than their larger brethren, and are preferred when keeping for table fare.  There is no such thing as trash fish, just trash cooks.
Can you tell me how long you Smoke it for? What kind of wood preferred? And is there a preferred temp to smoke at? Thanks .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 minutes ago, PrtyMrty said:

Can you tell me how long you Smoke it for? What kind of wood preferred? And is there a preferred temp to smoke at? Thanks .

Usually 3-4 hours depending how big the fillets are @ 180 degrees. 

5 hours ago, PrtyMrty said:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 hours ago, Big Spoon said:

Ditto to Big Spoon , proper care, bleed them ice them, trim them are all key points. I use a brine that you can find called sweet Oregon salmon smoke, alder is my preferred wood and smoke more to the dry side. Try it, it is worth keeping a couple now and then. 

• Like 1

Smaller Lake Trout can be fantastic

4cups brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt, dry rub, let sit 24-48hrs, depending thickness and if skin is off or on. rinse dry for 12-24hrs in fridge, smoke for 3-5hrs with 2 batches of chips, if using propane smoker

Love smoked lake trout. It’s more mild than salmon and lacks the sweetness but is very good. I prefer hickory for smoking. 

I also prepare it like other salmon recipes. Grilled after a vodka, brown sugar, salt, pepper marinade.  Foil pack with butter, garlic salt, and pepper. 

F033AFE4-727B-40E0-A4F8-0F096CB79E9A.jpeg

Love smoked lake trout. It’s more mild than salmon and lacks the sweetness but is very good. I prefer hickory for smoking. 

I also prepare it like other salmon recipes. Grilled after a vodka, brown sugar, salt, pepper marinade.  Foil pack with butter, garlic salt, and pepper. 
F033AFE4-727B-40E0-A4F8-0F096CB79E9A.thumb.jpeg.0ab1b1cbe0534710c517da4e12b829e8.jpeg
Joles that looks good,can you tell me, is that just a regular grill with a smoke box added? Can you explain the process? Thanks

6 minutes ago, PrtyMrty said:

Joles that looks good,can you tell me, is that just a regular grill with a smoke box added? Can you explain the process? Thanks

It’s a Traeger. Last time we used the brine from the pic. Yes, I also used it for smoked eel. 

It’s adapted from “The Quick and Easy Art of Smoking Food: Updated for the 90s” by Chris Dubbs & Dave Heberle. The only downside to that book is you really should read it cover to cover and then you have piece things together to make everything right. 

image.jpg

On 8/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, Traveling Circus said:

mine will......... One year I had some king carcasses in my garden....... won't do that again.

I'm slow, but I'm not stopped.

My grandmother loved carp carcasses for her rose bushes. Her neighbors were not amused...