1982 sportcraft. Sputtering at wot

SALMONBOY35

So i need advise.. Should i look at spark or gas..

I can run her up to 4500 rpm but is start to sputter and then dies. If i back her down.. She will run all day at 3000 rpm..

Fuel pump????

Coil?

Changed fuel filter. Fuel line.. Dust cap.. rotor button.. Points.. Condenser

Sent from my LML713DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have heard of problems where the replaced filter gets plugged. It can be caused by contamination in gas or maybe even material degradation of fuel lines and other fuel system components. If replacing the fuel filter temporarily solved the problem, then looking for a source of contamination might be the route to take. If that wasn't the case, the fuel pump might be the next thing to replace or check. If you can safely Tee in a pressure gauge to the fuel line, then you can see if the pressure drops or is below the rated spec. I know you can do the same thing with cars to check the fuel pump. Auto parts stores have fuel pressure test kits available in their loaner tool program. But you must be extremely cautious not to leak any fuel. It is much more dangerous with a boat than with a car. It might be easier to just replace the fuel pump. With cars, since the fuel pump is in the tank, it is relatively expensive for the part and quite labor intensive to replace, it is worth checking the pressure on them first.

Again, be extremely cautious with any work you do yourself. You CANT afford to have a fuel leak.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...