Introduction

NawZUs

Hi Guys,

Not new to Salmon, but new to Lake Onterio...I have a 20 ft Scout that I've used from the Gulf of Mexico to Lake Superior and Lake Michigan...Got the Salmon bug about 7 years ago and have been chasing them when the water wasn't to hard..

Just moved to PA and will be trying my Michigan techniques on those NY Salmon next summer..probably out of Oswego..Michigan is a little more generous in that they let you run three rods per fisherman, so I'll have to change a few things...Would be glad to share how we do it up in the UP with anyone interested, and would love to learn the NY way...see you after ice out!

NawZUs

Nawzus welcome to the site by the maste basher .You ant no different soon as you signed that dotted line yer fair game.Before i blind side ya just curios where the name came from?if we get a few decent days next week ill try to get onto lake ontario from oak orchard.keep one eye here and fire away with questions,but do spend some time at www.attheoak.com site if you were gonna fish in june for example go to the fishing report archives and you can see what worked for some of the top charters on the lake(in that port) for that month for the last 8 or 10 years.that will give you some idea of what to expect for that time of year. also lotts of good reading .if you do your homework there youll be able to figure out everything what youll need for some good lake fishing (about 5000.00 for starters) www,captianscove.com is a good shop in that area for tackle as is Narby's bait and tackle.

Thanks for the Welcome!

We just moved here (Bethlehem, PA) from Marquette MI..I was about 5 minutes from the ramp on Lake Superior, but prefered fishing

Lake Michigan...about an hour and a half drive...Fishery is MUCH better for Salmon...I fished out of Manistique Mi, and Fairport, MI... Lake Superior is great for Lakers, but compared to a big King, a Laker is like catching an old tire!

Techniques used up there are as varied s the fishermen, but mostly it's trolling with down riggers, dipsies, and side planers with either snap weights or lead core..

Spoons are probably used most follwed by dodgers/flies, then hard body baits, and a lot are using the cut bait rigs..

Around MI in the Great Lakes, each person in the boat can have 3 rods in the water...I usually ran four rods off my back two down riggers (using a stacker), and if not too rough I ran two more off the front two downriggers, or two dypsies, or the side planers...Occasionally I ran 8 rods, but I usually spent more time untangling than landing fish (my salmon fishing mentor always said "one rod fished well is better than four fished tangled up!")

One person wanted to know where we got the handle Naw-Z-Us...Its the name of our boat that my wife gave it...A play on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Nautilus)...She gets motion sickness just thinking about going out on the water- hence the boat name! Naw-Z-Us!

Later!