Oswego wind and waves

Can someone please tell me what is comfortably fishable out of Oswego . I know a south wind is good to go . I have a 21 foot crestliner commander. It handles water well but gets pushed around easy . I will always have my two young sons with me as well . I feel like I wasted a day today by watching the wind forecast. West a 6 mph at 10 am today . I'm a weekend warrior with a boat payment I need to feel good about. So I need to make as many trips as possible. Got beat up pretty good out of Sodius point last month on a west wind . Kid barfing over the side . Lol thanks to all . I don't trust the noaa forecast it always seems wrong

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

36 minutes ago, fishinfreak said:

Can someone please tell me what is comfortably fishable out of Oswego . I know a south wind is good to go . I have a 21 foot crestliner commander. It handles water well but gets pushed around easy . I will always have my two young sons with me as well . I feel like I wasted a day today by watching the wind forecast. West a 6 mph at 10 am today . I'm a weekend warrior with a boat payment I need to feel good about. So I need to make as many trips as possible. Got beat up pretty good out of Sodius point last month on a west wind . Kid barfing over the side . Lol thanks to all . I don't trust the noaa forecast it always seems wrong

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Todays morning forecast always was south or southwest 5-10 or less than 10. Other than light and variable thats the best you are gonna see. The weatherman lies a lot though so sometimes you either have to bail or make the best of it with a backup plan. Like fishing much close to shore and shallower than you wanted or switching to bass even for the same reason. Even a south wind will make chop and get rough if you are far enough out. I run a 20' aluminum and have to change my thinking all the time after getting on the lake. The oswego and other weather bouys are always good for current info.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=osgn6

There are no universal rules. When wind comes off a shoreline or is blocked by a point etc that can help but all bets are off once you get a few miles out. Even a 10mph wind will give you a solid chop. If you have sensitive young kids....keep as tight to the shore the wind comes off of as you can.   I should add that if they are predicting W or NW or NE  its almost always going to be a potential problem.  There is usually no such thing as a "light" West or NW wind and when it is light it is often after being heavy for a while so it might have residual waves.

from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fat Trout

I fished out of Oswego Friday and Saturday. Friday was awesome, Saturday was great then sat afternoon seas started building. I thought Sunday would be tolerable but no dice. I made it to the chute and had to me a hard u turn in between rollers and chop. I have a Starcraft Islander 221. There were other boats larger than me turning around as well. I did see one crazy guy in a 17' aluminum boat solo go out past the break wall, no life jacket on or anything.

There is a weather buoy just outside Oswego and it’s online. It will give you wind speed and direction in real time. It refreshes every five minutes. Google: Oswego weather buoy and it will give you the reading and a map with yellow squares. Every square is a weather station/buoy. Click on them and you will get their reading too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 8/3/2019 at 8:06 AM, Fat Trout said:

Todays morning forecast always was south or southwest 5-10 or less than 10. Other than light and variable thats the best you are gonna see. The weatherman lies a lot though so sometimes you either have to bail or make the best of it with a backup plan. Like fishing much close to shore and shallower than you wanted or switching to bass even for the same reason. Even a south wind will make chop and get rough if you are far enough out. I run a 20' aluminum and have to change my thinking all the time after getting on the lake. The oswego and other weather bouys are always good for current info.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=osgn6

There are no universal rules. When wind comes off a shoreline or is blocked by a point etc that can help but all bets are off once you get a few miles out. Even a 10mph wind will give you a solid chop. If you have sensitive young kids....keep as tight to the shore the wind comes off of as you can.   I should add that if they are predicting W or NW or NE  its almost always going to be a potential problem.  There is usually no such thing as a "light" West or NW wind and when it is light it is often after being heavy for a while so it might have residual waves.

from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

He pretty much nailed it... but the forecast can be wrong sometimes. I was out this Sat in my 18ft aluminum, it was absolutely perfect! They were spot on with the wind speed/direction. However I was out the Sat before in 6mph SE... they had the SE part right but 6mph was way off (it was close to double that). I've had other times I made the hour drive up towing the boat only to find worse conditions than forecasted and had to suck it up, not even launch and go back home. The weatherman is the only person that can be wrong 50% of the time and still have a job!

Personally if it's calling for anything over 7mph first thing in the morning, I don't bother going no matter the direction. Wind tends to build as the day goes on.