New to trolling - what to get?

I've got a couple threads around asking questions (great community!) - anyhow, all of my gear is bass/pike/musky, and I want to start trolling for trout/salmon as well on my boat.

I have the rod holders, electronics, dipsy divers and lures, but my rods and reels - I go from bass and pike to musky gear.

Lake O might be a bit too big for my boat judging from today, so I might try and focus on Canandaguia lake trolling for now - maybe Cayuga sometime as well.

For Canandguia, what rods and reels are you guys using to troll for the trout there? Would my 13 fishing Concept C and A3 be fine for now until I got 2 trolling setups? 30# and 50# braid on those two , rods are MH and H.

I was thinking of purchasing two Shimano Tekota HG500's and Shimano Talora rods to troll with on Lake O - is that overkill for the finger lakes?

Ugly boat pic attached for reference.

IMG_4090.JPG

You have worthy rod holders already. Hopefully they are bolted (not scewed) in place with proper backing with stainless plating or large fender washers. You can catch a lot of fish with 1000’ of wire on a Tekota line counter with a 10’ ugly stick dipsy rod. 

11 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

You have worthy rod holders already. Hopefully they are bolted (not scewed) in place with proper backing with stainless plating or large fender washers. You can catch a lot of fish with 1000’ of wire on a Tekota line counter with a 10’ ugly stick dipsy rod. 

You'd go with wire? I've never used it before

Gill’s suggestion to go take a ride with someone with experience is excellent.  Likely would save you money and get you headed in the right direction sooner. If you don’t have buddies doing this type of fishing, make a post in the “open seat/trade a trip “ section.  Nothing like on the water experience to show you what you need.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dan M said:

You'd go with wire? I've never used it before

You don't have to use wire, you can get away with a braid setup for dipsey divers. Wire is nice because it is easier to get fleas off of and it will get you setup deeper than braid with less line out (smaller diameter wire cuts through the water better). Tekotas are great reels just make sure you get the line counter version. 

• Like 1

If you can get one manual downrigger and mount it where you can deploy and get at it safely and easily it will be a big addition . 

Get a few J plugs and come up to LO 3 rd week in Sept to middle of Oct for shallow kings . 

There are a lot of nice flat mornings you can fish . 

Go to the Oak and bring bass tackle if it's rough . 

Two rods out , are all you need . 

I will apologize in advance for giving you your first taste of crack . 

29 minutes ago, HB2 said:

If you can get one manual downrigger and mount it where you can deploy and get at it safely and easily it will be a big addition . 

Get a few J plugs and come up to LO 3 rd week in Sept to middle of Oct for shallow kings . 

There are a lot of nice flat mornings you can fish . 

Go to the Oak and bring bass tackle if it's rough . 

Two rods out , are all you need . 

I will apologize in advance for giving you your first taste of crack . 

Last year I was casting spoons off the pier for kings at that time, maybe I'll give it a shot on the boat instead.

Pick your weather days and you can fish lake o just have a backup plan in mind for any given day. Torpedo 19 strand wire is a lot more fore giving especially for a first wire rod For kings a good smooth drag is worth the buy you can buy high end if it’s in your budget or buy cheaper and upgrade the Drags you can always leader down for the finger lakes so get rods with Kong’s in mind that said my favorite rigger rods are med light Diawas I do have a heavier rod for flasher flies for dipseys a set of Diawa wilderness heavy action will work nicely I use an 8’ 6” model for an inside diver and a 10 foot ugly stick for the outside

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pick your weather days and you can fish lake o just have a backup plan in mind for any given day. Torpedo 19 strand wire is a lot more fore giving especially for a first wire rod For kings a good smooth drag is worth the buy you can buy high end if it’s in your budget or buy cheaper and upgrade the Drags you can always leader down for the finger lakes so get rods with Kong’s in mind that said my favorite rigger rods are med light Diawas I do have a heavier rod for flasher flies for dipseys a set of Diawa wilderness heavy action will work nicely I use an 8’ 6” model for an inside diver and a 10 foot ugly stick for the outside

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app