Sodus Point Public Launch Dock - Re: input

I fished at Sodus Point today from the public launch. When we returned from fishing and I was straightening things on my boat and trailer in the parking lot a fella approached my buddy and i and introduced himself as Dave LeRoy a member of the Sodus Point Town Board.He asked me what I thought about the new dock.at the launch. I told him I thought it was a massive and positive improvement and that i had heard many of my friends say the same that had recently used it.. He then queried me about any suggestions I might have about it.  I suggested that we go down to the dock so I could better show him what suggestions might greatly improve use for fishermen and recreational boaters alike. We went to the dock and I indicated that the front of the dock (furthest east. out in the water where you come in from the bay) really needs some protective vinyl to cover the corner and front edge and also a strip of it about at least half way along the length of the dock from there toward the launch pad. This would both protect the dock and peoples boats from damage both from docking when coming in and from rubbing while tied up. I then mentioned the deteriorated condition of the pavement sections leading down to the water and especially the pot holes, and lack of pavement near the dock itself which can lead to trailer tires falling into it and possibly damaging them or axles etc.. The gap between the pavement and the further section which is currently under water was pointed out as well. I mentioned that people invest a lot of money in their boats and equipment and that the corner of the dock situated as it is could punch a hole in or otherwise scratch or damage the bow or hull of a boat. Dave took pics of the items mentioned and indicated that he will report them to the board for further review/possible action. He did not promise anything but I was very impressed that he and the town board were open to suggestions from the folks actually using the facility and I am hopeful at least that they will implement the suggestions as they are very straight forward and not terribly expensive things that could greatly improve the launch and dock for the public. I left feeling very grateful for having the opportunity for giving feedback and hope the board will act to help out the public in this way and maybe even prevent potential liability situations from occurring relating to the damaging of boats and trailers.  I noted that many LOU members use the launch and hundreds or thousands of fishermen may see this on LOU. A big thank you to Dave and the board for their consideration:smile: If I have missed anything here  Dave provided his email address but unfortunately it doesn't work as given.

Les

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

:lol: Kinda bumpy out there today. Fished from 80 ft to 210. One good king took a few runs after hitting a carbon 14 off the rigger set at 55 ft.over 139 but he spit the hook after a few minutes. My buddy Dave did the reeling on them   We picked up small kings here and there but nothing to write home about:smile: marked some clumps of bait from 40-60 here and there and a few fish up there too but most weren't interested. No action on wire/fly rigs.

I fished at Sodus Point today from the public launch. When we returned from fishing and I was straightening things on my boat and trailer in the parking lot a fella approached my buddy and i and introduced himself as Dave LeRoy a member of the Sodus Point Town Board.He asked me what I thought about the new dock.at the launch. I told him I thought it was a massive and positive improvement and that i had heard many of my friends say the same that had recently used it.. He then queried me about any suggestions I might have about it.  I suggested that we go down to the dock so I could better show him what suggestions might greatly improve use for fishermen and recreational boaters alike. We went to the dock and I indicated that the front of the dock (furthest east. out in the water where you come in from the bay) really needs some protective vinyl to cover the corner and front edge and also a strip of it about at least half way along the length of the dock from there toward the launch pad. This would both protect the dock and peoples boats from damage both from docking when coming in and from rubbing while tied up. I then mentioned the deteriorated condition of the pavement sections leading down to the water and especially the pot holes, and lack of pavement near the dock itself which can lead to trailer tires falling into it and possibly damaging them or axles etc.. The gap between the pavement and the further section which is currently under water was pointed out as well. I mentioned that people invest a lot of money in their boats and equipment and that the corner of the dock situated as it is could punch a hole in or otherwise scratch or damage the bow or hull of a boat. Dave took pics of the items mentioned and indicated that he will report them to the board for further review/possible action. He did not promise anything but I was very impressed that he and the town board were open to suggestions from the folks actually using the facility and I am hopeful at least that they will implement the suggestions as they are very straight forward and not terribly expensive things that could greatly improve the launch and dock for the public. I left feeling very grateful for having the opportunity for giving feedback and hope the board will act to help out the public in this way and maybe even prevent potential liability situations from occurring relating to the damaging of boats and trailers.  I noted that many LOU members use the launch and hundreds or thousands of fishermen may see this on LOU. A big thank you to Dave and the board for their consideration[emoji2] If I have missed anything here  Dave provided his email address but unfortunately it doesn't work as given.

Les
That's how Towns should be run!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At Point Breeze on Lake Erie an old steel flat bed trailer is backed into the open lake with a large front end loader. It worked this way for forty years now. During storms , high or low Water conditions it works. This year due to high waters the double axle was replaced by a single axle and a three foot section to raise the deep end in the lake. Up to four boats are handled here at one time. Two

trailers are used .

Sent from my e er’s r rthereghbwr.tapatalk.comeb/forms byo?rid=74288]end in the lake thrO United was mobileee app[/tbud a

• 1 year later...

Sk8man How do like the boat launch now? The dock is almost 4ft above the water. I saw a 21ft boat go under the dock and a girl on a jet ski had to stand up just to reach the dock. I don't understand why they took out the floating docks when the lake levels change so much.

I fully agree that it totally sucks:devil:. I was there a couple months ago with a buddy in his 20 ft aluminum boat and my jaw dropped open when I saw the dock as we launched. The material that the dock is made from is top notch but that's it. It should have been a "floater". Apparently they installed it at the high water level. When we launched there was a young guy in a small boat behind us ready to launch with two very young girls in their pajamas (it was about :45 AM) and he was by himself. I have no idea how he launched. At the time there was a railing at the front of the launch that prevented you from easily managing the ropes etc. We fished and then when we came back in there were others having difficulty launching and the southeast wind had picked up which was pushing us toward the dock. The dock was so high that we couldn't just jump out of the boat onto it and as you said there was the possibility of damaging the boat by going underneath. Luckily one of the guys standing on the dock grabbed the ropes so we avoided what could have been some damage to my buddy's boat. I have launched from literally dozens if not hundreds of places over the years both fresh and saltwater places and this is absolutely the worst designed launch I've ever seen. The huge pothole was still there in the pavement of the launch that time too and it has been there for years. I decided right then to never again launch there with my own boat. Oh and you also have to be careful with your lower unit because the bass guys powerload despite the sign prohibiting it and there can be unseen stone piles in the middle of the launch.So much for what seemed to be encouraging signs last year:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Just to add a little info if you launch by the coast guard station one of the slab,s has shifted and your trailer will be uneven and you will have a hard time getting your boat on level,i found this out the hard way last year and nothing has been done about it.Also tried Arney,s and his fee is $20.

Edited by signalman