Get ready they are right outside our front door in deep water. Fished 300-500 fow on Saturday with a very nice family. Spoons, flys and meat all took fish. Won't be long and they will be stacked up in the Bay. Around two dozen bites.

IMG_1409.thumb.JPG.9cd52caf1b0327a240e6c6d5c820a5c7.JPG

IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.5719ede0af152f3120e89e3ef11d4d9a.JPG

IMG_1411.thumb.JPG.cac56aebf3b6f726b9f50bf43765a88e.JPG

IMG_1412.thumb.JPG.e8fe440a88cb2a767651cca278423bf8.JPG

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.956e22df43b9269f6a83c00c2564911c.JPG

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.25bb4fa60c6ad3de1e452ea72fd648d7.JPG

IMG_1415.thumb.JPG.d1aaef0dd70a2cc844788d81e26cd94e.JPG

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.2eb235803c567744fc77f4e4642b60a6.JPG

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.3d1cbec0db883f3dc649c83cfab9ff88.JPG

IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.d566984ff2405633c2532e9312daf84e.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t fished out of Mexico before, only out of Henderson and Fair Haven.  I only have a 19’ boat and wondering how far offshore is 200’+.  Unless it’s a calm day I don’t like to go over a mile out in case the weather turns quickly.

19 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

I haven’t fished out of Mexico before, only out of Henderson and Fair Haven.  I only have a 19’ boat and wondering how far offshore is 200’+.  Unless it’s a calm day I don’t like to go over a mile out in case the weather turns quickly.

200 fow is prolly somewhere 3-4 miles out. Been out that deep plenty times in my old 18ft boat, just have to pick the right day. No bait shops in Mexico but there are several in Pulaski which is a 10 drive (in a truck) from Mexico launch.

Some fish in the Bay last weekend in as close as 130. Took a lot of shots but our landing percentage was terrible on the rough Lake. Sunday was bad Saturday was down right nasty.

Edited by spoonfed-1

57 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

They are stacked up in 80 to 120 foot of water 60-80 down. In front of dunes. The lake settled from the big blow and some moved in. Should be able to reach that in 19 footer, only about 3 1/2 miles out. Except for lightening that ran me off the lake tonight. Saw two boats stay out deep, they are nuts. Lightening and I'm off, doesn't matter how far away it is.

Edited by seeyawader

Hey LB, I’m still not used to having 130 horses pushing me instead of a two ended paddle.  Hopefully after a couple more trips on the big O and I’ll feel more confident with the rig.  I’ve been blessed with calm seas each time out but also mostly blank screens.  I have Saturday free so hoping to get out to wash off some new tackle.  You’ll probably see me out in front of the river in another month for sure.    Thanks everyone for the advice and reports!

• Like 1

Is it a bad idea to run meat and spoons at the same time or stick with one or the other?  I have ff’s I can run with the spoons but was hearing how well meat has been doing and wondering if I should drop down a rocket in my spoon spread and stay in the low 2mph SOG range

Is it a bad idea to run meat and spoons at the same time or stick with one or the other?  I have ff’s I can run with the spoons but was hearing how well meat has been doing and wondering if I should drop down a rocket in my spoon spread and stay in the low 2mph SOG range
There's nothing wrong with running spoons, meat or FF at the same time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Fat Trout it’s good to know combo trolling works.  I have heard from guys that exclusively fish meat that it’s taboo to throw spoons in the mix because of speed differences.  I’m guessing that you just put less bend in the bait to keep a slower “roll” at a faster speed?

42 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

Fat Trout it’s good to know combo trolling works.  I have heard from guys that exclusively fish meat that it’s taboo to throw spoons in the mix because of speed differences.  I’m guessing that you just put less bend in the bait to keep a slower “roll” at a faster speed?

Yeah you can tune the bait to roll how you like it, you can also make the hook extend a little further back and it has a similar effect.  Personally I want to fish my meat rigs at spoon speeds.  Some people fish them slow, different opinions I guess.  

I run 5+ miles out of Sandy Pond every day in a Smokercraft Ultima 192. May be 1 ft outside the channel but 4 ft out there if the wind is north or south. If it is west you know what is there immediately out of the channel
I fish anything under 4 ft and never had a problem. When they start to get towards 4 ft I leave. Depending on where you launch and wind direction it may look good out a short distance but sloppy out 4 to 5 miles

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app