Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

15 hours ago, Nautitroller said:

Three years of no hunting on my property has finally produced a few nice age class bucks. I'm lucky because of a generous friend who moved to Montana and he has let me take care of his property for him ( hunt it).. making it easy to leave mine alone. 

15 years of improving it's carrying capacity and leaving a sanctuary area has paid off. I'm sure I know his age, any guesses, and what y'all think he'll gross? 

BTW this is not an agricultural area, no alfalfa fields or corn within three miles. 

Two properties away is a large tract of state land. I do fear he could get killed in the oaks there, but if someone does get him there great for the guy or girl that does! 

IMG_20190923_140227929.jpg

Very nice buck!  Tough to gauge off night pics but I'd give it 140-150ish and 6 yr old?

3 hours ago, hawkeye625 said:

Very nice buck!  Tough to gauge off night pics but I'd give it 140-150ish and 6 yr old?

I'd say you're right on the score and I believe he's 5 1/2. I have a photo of him two years ago as a 3 1/2. Now some may say he might be only 2 1/2 but up there they grow a lot less bone then our ag bucks.

Where he was last year I have no idea, at least he stayed away from my cameras.

21823.jpeg

Anybody loosing a favorite hunting tree from the ash bore?

How long can you still climb one (from when it doesn’t have leaves) if at all

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Loose your favorite tree....
I hunted a farm for birds for years , as time went on the farmer let me deer hunt . I have been deer hunting it for 4 to 5 years I knew just about everything in the 30 acres. A week before opening day it was leveled to the ground. Only tree standing was my treestand tree. They cut the tree just above the seat. LMFAO
I asked him why did u cut the woods down ? He said in 5 years my woods will be dead . Cutting it now for new growth no need to waste time watching.
What a shame looking at all the dead Ash trees . Ash trees are the best for climbing tree stands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Three of my stands, including a favorite, are in ash trees that have minimal-to-no canopy now. They were thinning last year, but have now bit the dust. I will hunt the stands this fall, then remove them after the season and begin to explore other options...of which there aren't any good ones. Most of the ash are dead, but none of them have started to fall, so I don't feel unsafe. I predict that it will be another year or two before we start seeing the real mess. Unfortunately, ash and tamarack are the predominant tree on our reclaimed farmland. We already have enough cover, so opening up the canopy will do little good. The boatloads of trees that I've planted there over the past five years - with the help of others - won't be ready to hand a stand in for at least another decade. Luckily, there are other good stands that aren't affected, but not in the same areas.

Started the season off with an archery elk hunt to Colorado with me the ole man and my buddy my mom and her husband. Hope was to get the ole man his first elk but ended up my buddy killed a 5x5 n I killed a 4x5. Had an awesome time public land hunting! IMG_20190908_183212_233.thumb.jpeg.9b04cde860a5340ddba4c7a7807f6879.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Man Joe that one buck has a crazy rack!  Congrats on the elk!  Some tasty meat right there!

Ya he does! If he makes it another yr he may be a Real Hitlister! Thanks it was. A blast! I love elk. tastes just like beef! And the steaks are are nice and tender!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

47 minutes ago, Jeffi said:

Here's a couple off our lease in Albion.  Don't mind the date as i never set the camera up.  The piebald was around last year and hopefully he makes it through this year!! The short video is of the piebald from last season.  

MFDC9972.JPG

MFDC0688.JPG

04280075 (1).AVI

Some awesome deer Jeff!