Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

First sit of the season, and I could have taken a slammer buck.  I didn't even pick up my bow.  If I had, I think I might have shot him, because I probably couldn't have stopped myself.  But i decided before I went out yesterday that there was no way I was shooting a buck this early and moping around the rest of the season.  I know, I'm crazy.  I could have been fishing, duck hunting, shooting does.  And I would have gone through the fall feeling a certain lack.  There's something about the focus and intensity in late October when the rut kicks in and you're on edge knowing any moment could be THE moment that I can't get doing all those other things.  I'd be giving that up by poking a random stud that wandered across my set early.  I was up in the middle of the night wondering if I'd screwed the pooch, but I'm okay with my decision this morning.  At least it wasn't work keeping me up lol. Time to go hunting!

That's always a tough decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well guys i had to chime in and report on last nights sit.  Had the right wind to sit on a stand up in Gaines along a bedding area and have seen bucks in the past filter through heading into the swamp.  Got to the stand at 500 and had the hunch that tonight i was going to get my chance.  My plan was 95% correct :(.  At 620 noticed antler through the trees heading East then he turned South on the trail that was 22 yards from the tree.  Took a quick look at the head gear and he was a definite shooter (long beams and heavy).  Came to full draw as he stepped behind some vines and bleated as he stepped into the shooting lane, just as you want it to happen.  He stopped perfectly broadside and I let the 100 grain wasp sst fly.  The red Nocturnal was flying in slow motion....... Saw the hit right behind the shoulder (but apparently not....). He stumbled, plowed vegetation and silence for 30 seconds.  Heard some leaves rustling and then nothing.  Got down after dark and went to the shot location.  No blood, no hair just broken branches and bent golden rod.  I followed a straight line for 50 yards and found nothing.  I went back to shot location and found my around 10 feet up the trail with 4-5 inches of arrow and broadhead broken off.  Decided to backout (even with the incoming rain). Went back this am with help from my girlfriends son and searched in a grid pattern for 300 yards due north, turned west then came back south then proceeded east with the same pattern.  The shot looked and felt good as if I was standing on my deck at home practicing. I've harvested deer with this same setup and have had shots go through both shoulders with the broadhead penetrating the opposite shoulder.  In speaking with Gator yesterday (and i agree) with only 4-5 inches of penetration i hit probably the thickest part of the shoulder. One inch over to the right and the deer would probably be at the processor right now.  One thing that i'm still questioning is how the arrow ended up behind the deer at that distance.  The only thing i can imagine is that as he lunged forward on impact, his leg or shoulder severed the arrow.  Long story short..... One inch probably would've made a difference..

Good luck to everyone this season!

Happen to me last year, biggest deer I would’ve ever shot came in 15 yards .. shot in the shoulder arrow when in 4 inches.. went to the local bow shop (heritage outdoor sports) and told them I want a set up that can blow threw a deers shoulder bone at close range.. they said no promises but they recommend a smaller fixed broad head and Easton FMJ 400.. not saying it will go threw bone but it had clean pass threw on 2 deer last year and I feel confident in them.. (broad head from last year)

D14334FC-8F4D-44E8-BB8D-200EB67D7B51.jpeg

I only have one evening to hunt this week, and today is it. Unfortunately, NE wind won't allow me to get where I'd like to be, so I'm going to have to settle for a stand that I'm less enthusiastic about...but that's never been hunted before. So, who knows? I figure with a new property, I need to at least hunt each stand once to get a feel for them. The ladder is in a travel hedgerow looking over a field that was recent planted with hay, and it could be great during the rut or in a year with less acorns (with crops to the East). I suspect I won't see much tonight, but since the stand is at the front of the property and easily accessed, I won't be blowing up my other sets (shout out to DD), and I'm tempted to poke a doe given its proximity to the truck lol.