Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

Well I live off Payne beach so I spend some time hunting behind my house when pressed for time. My wife's family has a cabin in 8r which is my primary hunting grounds. Today I was in 8h where I have permission to use private property where my stand was stolen. I know some of the neighbors in the area aren't too friendly so I'm assuming it was one of them.

That’s awful. What area do you hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, Gill-T said:

Gary please tell me you are not part of the deer drive hunters that walk thru brush blowing crow calls in Alabama?

No. I hunt alone until my buddy comes from Idaho after Thanksgiving. Then we hunt PA and NY rifle. I still hunt, or stand as conditions allow.

Just had a crippled 8 go by .... I saw him yesterday and he was fine. I grunted at him and he was on edge, so long as the dogs don't get him I hope he makes it . Past couple days no chasing just casual looking.

Nice bucks hitting the dirt !!! Congrats guys

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Ok well long night last night we def had a little gut material. So we didnt want to jump him after that 150 yds. So back this morning with a dog to play it safe. And thank god we did. The coyotes jumped him out of his bed in the thick stuff and chassed him a total of 997yds. Across a hill. Literally only a speck of blood every 50 yds. Just hoping the dog was doing the right thing. And we found him half eaten... But that deer back tracked on its self. Went different ways than u would ever expect. 100% would not of found that deer! But. Happy to get him! Hit was about exzactly where I thought slightly quartering to me. Hit one lung huge slice from liver and stomach. Grossed him at 135! First buck ive shot on my new land so pretty happy! 1106190957_HDR.jpeg1106190854a.jpeg1106190854.jpeg1106191006_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats Great Buck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dvdegeorge said:

It’s a ghost town
Cameras have gone dead
I think I’m gonna back out for a couple day

I feel the same way about one of my properties. It has been a ghost town.

14 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

It’s a ghost town
Cameras have gone dead
I think I’m gonna back out for a couple day

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario Unite

Yes, I agree things have been slow for me so far this year too. That's why I think the rut is delayed. Hoping it picks up now after today,  Nov 7

Signs of the Lockdown Phase

During the lockdown, it can seem like deer literally just disappear in one of the best deer hunting secrets there are. But there are signs that the peak rut is approaching. In the northern half of the country, the first two weeks of November usually overlap the lockdown period. The time frame will be the same from year to year within a few days, which is your best bet at estimating this period. But there are also other signs. If you notice fawns wandering around by themselves, looking lost without a doe, it’s likely the doe chased them away to breed. Similarly, you may only be getting yearling bucks responding to your Code Blue® estrous scents during this time period. They are chased off by larger bucks and often not accepted by doe groups, so they tend to wander the woods looking to take part in the action somehow. If you’d been getting daylight pictures of mature bucks regularly on your trail cameras, but they suddenly seem to disappear, you’re likely in the lockdown. Finally, you’ll rarely see a lone doe during the lockdown phase. Any estrus does will usually have a buck in tow, and any that aren’t in heat will usually stay in larger doe groups.

• Like 5

Seeing anything Rob? I took the morning off, looks like I should have gotten out for a bit.

Couple deer came through in the dark 10 minutes apart. A single doe just past by the stand and a doe fawn in the field. Plus raccoons and turkeys.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app