Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

I find it hard to believe they didnt know it was a bow only zone... even if they weren't sure it takes 2 seconds to go on the dec website or look in your hunter safety book. She didnt tell me about it till about 6 hours later when I got home from work. I would have liked to go down there or send an officer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

15 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Looking at the map, they were breaking the law.  The other side of Manitou Beach Rd is 8A.  Burger Park is in 8C which is bow only.  Here is a link to the map.  https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/wmutownmap09.pdf

Correct as usual, although even the neighbors there get confused. Hunted there 20 years ago and got yelled at for hunting at all, let alone with a bow. The new DEC mapping is easier to see with https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/

Burger Park.png

Wow! Where do I begin!
Last Tuesday I past a buck because it was 30 minutes past sunset. Well tonight the conditions were perfect to go after that deer. I literally setup in the woods where I bumped him a week ago.
About 420 or so I heard a gun shot within 100 yards of me. I text the neighbor and he tells me he is not hunting. I tell him he has a trespasser then. We agree to dispatch the DEC and to meet up. I pack up my gear, throw on my blaze orange, and start walking towards the shot. I circle around the woods and I notice a deer in my field flopping around. It's a hundred yards or so I call the neighbor and let him know I have a half dead deer in my field. It lifts its head and it looks to be a buck. I put glass on him and he's a mature buck. God damnit. I patiently wait for a poacher to approach the deer. Maybe five minutes or so and a hunter from the neighbors woods enters my field and puts another round into it. He notices me and calls out. I ignore him, start walking away, and call the neighbor. The snow doesn't lie. I head out to my truck as I don't want to spook the guy. DEC and the neighbor meet up and come in from the opposite direction. Once they are on site, I go grab my truck and drive in from my side. They find the guy with the deer on the neighbors property. The guy gets run through the ringer from the neighbor and tickets are issued. To make matters worse the trespasser shot the deer from the neighbors tree stand.
The reason I mentioned the deer last week because I would be willing to bet it is the same damn deer. His left side is the tell.
I am so glad we caught the guy but what a heart breaker. Just some local guy who thought it would be a good idea to go in there. Even though everything is posted up tighter than tight. By the sounds of it, it wasn't the first time he had been in there. Although he tried to convince the DEC otherwise he literally walked a straight line from his residence to the neighbors stand.
Craziness...

Here's a bad on site picture .
Main frame 10. Stickers on g3 left side make him a 12. I'm literally sick to my stomach.

12548.thumb.jpeg.c826807c79accd1b160af9d300f4f6c0.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's crazy. Glad he was caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad the guy got caught. Trespassers are hard to convict. You can have written tickets and all your i"s dotted. I have had issues and a good friend last yr went threw the same thing in churchville. When the hearing was done my buddy was livid. Usually a small fine if that and a warning. Going to court would help the cause. Nys should have stricter laws for such actions like this. Believe me iv owned strictly hunting property for over 20yrs and every few some scum bag thinks he has the right to hunt it. I have even been approached by DEC to setup a sting operation on my property. Some day i might do it for opening day

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I say publicly shame him. Here’s a good place. I’m sure he has social media and you guys could post a bunch of crap.
This site is the closest thing I have to social media thank god.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Just my two cents, I would approach a situation with another armed human in a calm and non aggressive manner.

I was once accused of trespassing in Keuka by a regular hunter of the land. I had permission to hunt the property but the other regular didn’t bother to ask first. He threatened to “kill me” or hurt me so bad that I couldn’t “trespass anymore”. Thank god it was bow season. He was yelling and screaming for a good 10 minutes. I waited and said I would only come down if he could actually have a conversation (Was in a climber). 

I got down out of my tree and calmly explained who I was and why I was ok to be there. I then explained that he told another human being that he was going to kill them and quoted his words back to him. He seemed to get the message as he backed way off and we ended the conversation speaking on friendly terms. 

Point is that even though these trespassers stink, you are better off just keeping a lid on the temper. Especially when weapons are present. Get the law involved, let them work and don’t let anger get the better of you. What I went through was nuts, and I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Starting from a place of rational conversation would have been much better for both him and I.

People are crazy and it would be dumb for something to escalate Needlessly. Do unto others........

• Like 1

Trespassers/thief's suck.

I knew a guy who would give you a document (permission slip if you will) in order to hunt his land. If you didnt have a Document, you cant hunt, if you did your good... Solved any and every problem associated with that land, for those who were caught without a document of course...

Maybe Cuomo can ban trespassers and institute mandatory hall passes to hunt public land?

29 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Just my two cents, I would approach a situation with another armed human in a calm and non aggressive manner.

Agreed. I have to remind myself what we do is pure folly. My wife reminds me regularly. Dress in unscented camo, making mock scrapes with deer pee. Sitting in a tree for an all-day sit ONLY when it is below freezing. Spending hours cleaning and bleaching the skull of a dead animal. If you say it out loud, it really does sound crazy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Agreed. I have to remind myself what we do is pure folly. My wife reminds me regularly. Dress in unscented camo, making mock scrapes with deer pee. Sitting in a tree for an all-day sit ONLY when it is below freezing. Spending hours cleaning and bleaching the skull of a dead animal. If you say it out loud, it really does sound crazy. 

You forgot the part about you driving for 2 days to get to the Whitetail mecca of Kansas--so you could tag out in 10 minutes while walking in for your first sit. Crazy? For sure.  

• Like 1

Sadly we are all encountering more and more of this. What does it bring about? More guys wanting to buy their own land and post it up tight--or leasing it for exclusive rights. These are merely temporary respites as land becomes harder andharder to get on. It leads to yet even more of these violations, and ultimately we get weaker as good sportsmen fall by the wayside. 

I have a friend who has hunted NY for 40 years. He has pretty much given up Deer hunting in NY because of constant conflicts with disrespectful deer "hunters". He says "Im damn tired of arm wrestling for Deer."

Like was said, just like the trib nightmare, violators get a slap on the wrist so the vicious circle continues. I'm so sorry for guys like Rob who put so much into their spots and their seasons to have it ruined by a criminal.

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni
  • Like 6

I have been a lurker of this thread since the beginning of the season. I think it needs a quick boost to get back on track. Talking about and seeing pics of some dandy deer.

I took probably my best deer to date on Monday morning heading into my tree stand for a "Controlled" shotgun/muzzleloader hunt in Prince Edward County which is across the lake from most of you guys. We do not have a November gun season in WMU 70. It is archery only and the Controlled hunt the first week of December. A controlled hunt basically means you have to enter a draw to be able to participate in the December 1 week shotgun muzzleloader hunt. You do not get an additional tag for this if you are successful in the draw. The ministry does this to control the # of hunters in the unit.

Back to the hunt and deer pics, I was walking in at legal shooting about 3/4 s of the way to the Bush lot my stand is in. I walk an old lane way that is pretty thick with growth and has fields on both sides. I get into a bit of a less dense section and see a deer in the harvested corn field to the east. I can immediately tell it's a buck and a big one. I only had one target to deer I was after and figured it had to be him. The other deer on camera were not anywhere near the same quality or size. I settled in with the Savage 220 shooting 3 inch Rem s I touched her off. The deer fell forward then began to head north to the Bush lot and soft maple swamp.

I was pretty surprised to find that the deer I had just taken had not been in any of my camera locations and was not the target deer.

I will be back out tomorrow with the old man to hopefully get the original target.Resized_20191202_100436.jpgResized_20191202_100444.jpg20191125_133051.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

• Like 7

13 hours ago, idn713 said:

I was once accused of trespassing in Keuka by a regular hunter of the land. I had permission to hunt the property but the other regular didn’t bother to ask first. He threatened to “kill me” or hurt me so bad that I couldn’t “trespass anymore”. Thank god it was bow season. He was yelling and screaming for a good 10 minutes. I waited and said I would only come down if he could actually have a conversation (Was in a climber). 

I got down out of my tree and calmly explained who I was and why I was ok to be there. I then explained that he told another human being that he was going to kill them and quoted his words back to him. He seemed to get the message as he backed way off and we ended the conversation speaking on friendly terms. 

Point is that even though these trespassers stink, you are better off just keeping a lid on the temper. Especially when weapons are present. Get the law involved, let them work and don’t let anger get the better of you. What I went through was nuts, and I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Starting from a place of rational conversation would have been much better for both him and I.

People are crazy and it would be dumb for something to escalate Needlessly. Do unto others........

I would second that.  I saw this article by Jay Gregory well known tv hunter a while back.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/01/06/must-see-video-bowhuntertv-host-jay-gregory-talks-day-shot-intentionally-poacher/

• Like 2

I have hunted hard this year with very little deer seen after opening weekend. Hunted one of properties yesterday all day and never saw thing. Walked the entire property and the only tracks were a fox and coyote. Decided to take this morning off and sleep in. I woke up at 630 regretting I wasnt on my way to the woods. At 820 I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to head the farm and at least check my cameras. I grabbed my coat and my 30/30 just in case. I found tracks everywhere, but they looked to be a day or two old. I decided to walk a logging trail and then walk along a ridge overlooking a heavy bedding area full of tree tops from logging. I walked slow and scoured the thick stuff for anything that didn’t look right. I spotted a BIG body deer laying there staring at me. I pulled up the scope and no horns, it was a big doe. I panned the entire area looking for a buck and nothing. Came back to her, whistled, she stood up at 75 yards, and that was it. She dropped 30’ from impact. Definitely one of my shortest hunts ( 17 minutes ) from the time I left my truck to my shot. She is one of biggest doe I have ever taken. Things got real interesting while field dressing her and the knife slipped. It adds the story and as my wife said “ only you “ [emoji3]

IMG_4779.JPGIMG_4767.thumb.JPG.2ba137dc17252e9d75930bd8013a112f.JPGIMG_4765.thumb.JPG.ef299e475b9bc1af42f9b7b4a7b218a1.JPGAdjustments.thumb.JPG.c3660fba7039faa87841850f904cae0d.JPG59716386748__8AECF313-5931-4B79-87F7-BB3BDF9FCBD6.thumb.JPG.42c60a92f88723ea149c604af467d637.JPG59716306206__02EEAF94-1DB4-46A5-8F86-DFAA50A00C26.thumb.JPG.455c072f20d208c26f481708a1bdaa51.JPG

‘Bout Time

Mike

• Like 4