Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

Well I thought I would get an early start on this thread this year. Normally I dont start this thread until after Labor Day but I'm starting to see a ton of deer cam pics from people and the 2019 "hunting" talk has started. 2018 ended for me with a bit of disappointment. I had my opportunities but never connected. One of the biggest changes for this year was to invest in my firearms. With all the time i put in the woods it was apparent I needed to ensure my equipment wouldnt fail me. I purchased a new CVA Accura v2 muzzleloader at the end of last season and I just ordered a Savage 220 that should be here soon. After numerous conversations with others... it looks like I am pairing both of them with a Leupold https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-muzzleloader-3-9x40 (Ill post some pics once they get all setup). I am still looking for advice on ammo for each of them.

hunting2.jpg

hunting1.jpg

Im still shooting my Mathews Z7 and figured it was time for a bow overhaul. I ordered some new string silencers, dampeners, strings, and cables and I dropped the bow off to the shop yesterday for a tune up. I brought my kid with me so we could do some adjustments on his bow (draw length, peep adjustment, poundage, ect). Ordered a dozen fresh arrows for him along with new broadheads so he should be good to go by the end of the week. 

Yesterday afternoon led me back to the wormhole of broadheads. I have always been in the market for the "perfect" broadheads and have done a full circle right back to Slick Tricks. And now after the resent bow adjustments.. my kid will also be shooting them.

All in all, I guess this is me trying to be prepared for the 2019 season. Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

My father shoots the Lightfield mag hybrids out of his 220 and I’ve seen him take deer out around 200 yards. Guns zeroed at 100 gets about an average of a 1 3/4 group. In my opinion for a slug gun you can’t beat it. Honestly though it’s a bit expensive but the best thing is to buy a few different brands and paper test them see what works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm always glad when this thread starts...it means we're on the cusp! Last weekend was the first time we worked on treestands, and we're set to go again this weekend, too. I want to get all of the existing sets finalized so that we can begin work on: a new piece of property that we're closing on this month!!! So excited. It's a piece that I've had my eyes on for some time, close to a parcel that we lease, and it looks sweet. I'll post pics as we move forward, but for now the idea is to scout, hang a few sets, put a new floor in the elevated box blind, and think about an orchard and food plots for next year.

FYI, $90 apiece here: https://www.presleysoutdoors.com/browning-strike-force-850-trail-camera-16mp/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI042t3aD04wIVBpSzCh1xGAYfEAQYASABEgKi5fD_BwE. Full disclosure though, I've never ordered from these guys.

I love the original BTC5HD from back in 2016, best camera I've ever run, but the newer BTC5HDP gives them a run for their money with an internal viewer.

Going to set up some cameras in a couple hours.   I have the same muzzleloader.  I just put on a scope this summer and i am getting it ready.  Really fun gun to shoot.  Not horrible to clean.  As always thanks for getting this going again.  I have learned a lot from here and keeps me going during the  season. 

Hung the first stand on our new property a couple weeks ago, and had a ten-point walk past it at 30 yards the next day. I was trimming overhanging limbs on our access road when I saw him walking through the back field. I boogied around the hedgerow to where the stand sits, to have him walk right up to me. Very impressive animal, even in velvet. We will be hanging the rest of the sets tomorrow morning. Also contracted with a local hobby farmer to hay the back lot in return for some food plot installation. Win-win.

I finally ordered my Accura V2 yesterday. It's the same gun that Brian, Matt, Rob and seemingly countless others shoot. I ended up with the Leupold scope and nitride finish, Blackhorn 209 powder, and Barnes 245 gr Expanders, 

One final impression - the oaks are loaded this year. Everyone should be thinking about oak flats at the end of October. This is going to be one of those banner years for hard (and soft) mass in this area.

10 hours ago, Legacy said:

Seems to be mentioned a lot...Blackhorn 209 powder and Barnes 245 gr Expanders... everyone like this combination?

what about primers?

CCI 209 primers have never let me down.  I shoot Blackhorn powder with a Hornady FTX 45 caliber bullets in MMP sabots.  I have shot 6 deer with these rounds and they really put a hurting on them! 

I need some advice on a good bullet for a 50 cal muzzle loader. I stopped hunting with a muzzle loader about 6 years ago, long story but all the deer I shot with it would take of running and all but two of the eight where ever found. I had a doe at 35 yards and shot her she ran for about 35 yards hit the ground and after about 5 min got up and started walking away shot her one more time she went down and got right back up, so I shot her a 3rd time, and went down for good. all three shoots went right next to the front leg med deer. that was the last one I shot. I took the gun home and put it away till now my son want  to do some muzzle loader hunting this season but I don't know. here is what I was shooting 100 gr. triple 7 and a 250 gr. power belt with the green tip, I also tried Thompson center shock wave 250 gr. the accuracy was great just not happy with the end results on deer. all the deer where shot at or inside of 40 yards and where easy shots. any thoughts or input.

Power belts were the worst bullet I ever shot out of a muzzleloader.  Every deer I shot with them left little blood.  When I butchered the deer, I would find bullets fragments all over the deer.  Horrible bullets IMO.  My buddy turned me on to the Hornady FTX bullets, blackhorn powder and MMP sabots.  They have not let me down yet.  Like I said above, I have shot 6 deer in three seasons with my new muzzleloader and they all dropped.  I have also heard great stuff about the Barnes Expanders but I do not have experience with them. 

Brian, are you shooting the CCI 209m primers like Blackhorn recommends? They also mention Federal 209a, which is a magnum shotshell primer as well. Word is that the "regular" 209 primers aren't as good, but I suspect that depends on whether you have the appropriate breech plug for Blackhorm more than anything.

5 hours ago, Gator said:

Brian, are you shooting the CCI 209m primers like Blackhorn recommends? They also mention Federal 209a, which is a magnum shotshell primer as well. Word is that the "regular" 209 primers aren't as good, but I suspect that depends on whether you have the appropriate breech plug for Blackhorm more than anything.

Regulars work fine with the correct Blackhorn breech plug. 

The new family of firearms...
#blackgunsmatter

Top to bottom...

Gun-Savage 220

Scope-Leupold VX- Freedom 3-9x40 scope

Ammo-Remington Premier Accutip Bonded Sabot Slugs 3"

Gun- CVA Accura V2

Scope- Leupold VX- Freedom 3-9x40 scope

Ammo- ?

Gun- Remington 870 (my kids new deer gun)

Scope- Leupold VX- Freedom 3-9x40 scope

Ammo-Remington Premier Accutip Bonded Sabot Slugs 2 3/4"

Thanks to Eights Armory for everything! https://www.facebook.com/EightsArmory/

IMG_20190903_170813898.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1