Boater Safety Course Now Required by Law

I hope it applies to sailboats as well. I had to blast my air horn at one 2 weeks ago. He was on a course to t bone my boat...we were doubled up fighting fish. When I yelled at him to keep off my stern
..we had fish on back there....his only response was...I'm in a sailboat. Apparently he cant control his vessel enough to avoid a boat traveling 2.5 mph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

33 minutes ago, hawkeye625 said:

I hope it applies to sailboats as well. I had to blast my air horn at one 2 weeks ago. He was on a course to t bone my boat...we were doubled up fighting fish. When I yelled at him to keep off my stern
..we had fish on back there....his only response was...I'm in a sailboat. Apparently he cant control his vessel enough to avoid a boat traveling 2.5 mph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm pretty sure if you are a motor boat under power, you have to give way to a sailboat 100% of the time.

Hop

• Like 1

Would my PA boater safty card be good in Ny? I would think it would be. In PA if you born after 1982 you must have safty card when operating a vessil  20hp or more and PWC. I’ve been stopped a few times by fish commision on my local lake with my 25ft trophy and have yet to be asked if I had my safty card. I guess PA doesnt enforce it much

looking at the law zinger put up rules of the road I believe fishing vessel is a fishing trawler like you would find in the ocean or possibly a commercial netter

the rec fisherman or even a charter boat (6 pack license) is not considered a fishing vessel. (trying to remember from when I had my license back in 85) maybe some of the captains can chime in.

If this is true you can see why the courses are needed (never liked the blow boating crowd)

• Like 2

Part (b) (ii) seems to be open for interpretation. A pleasure boat, whether fishing or not, could be restricted in its ability to maneuver. A sailboat has no way of knowing if a power boat is restricted or not. Both vessels are responsible for avoiding a collision.

Spot on jimmac!!  My friends and family have all taken it.  I've gotten to the point that I assume that every boat I see isnt going to follow the most basic or boating laws, and it has saved my sanity and a lot of gear.   There have been a few incidents recently on Otisco and none of them should have been possible if the boater had a clue and a conscience.   

looking at the law zinger put up rules of the road I believe fishing vessel is a fishing trawler like you would find in the ocean or possibly a commercial netter
the rec fisherman or even a charter boat (6 pack license) is not considered a fishing vessel. (trying to remember from when I had my license back in 85) maybe some of the captains can chime in.
If this is true you can see why the courses are needed (never liked the blow boating crowd)

This is correct. A recreational fishing boat , including charters , is NOT considered a vessel engaged in fishing That is restricted to commercial fishing boats A recreational fishing boat is just like any other vessel on the water and is subject to the rules of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

But if the sailboat is the overtaking vessel he must give way.  Overtaking...rule 13

A recreational vessel , under power , fishing or not , must give way to a vessel under sail 100% of the time

Restricted ability to maneuver is meant for vessels that can’t leave a channel without risk of grounding it does not mean you can’t maneuver due to lines in the water or fish on you must give way to any vessel under sail

Negative

No, negative to you chinook. This is right from the NYS boating course.........
"Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. The overtaking is always the give-way vessel and the vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel.

This rule applies even if the overtaking vessel is propelled by wind, oars, or rubber band paddlewheel.Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. The overtaking is always the give-way vessel and the vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel."

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 5

I had a blow boater tell me I had to get out of his way when i wasn't even under power!   He ended up learning three things that day...1 sailboats don't always have the right away and 2 that angler harassment is a ticketable offense.  3 there was an eco on the water that day and I have his number...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Things seem to get awful quiet when you confront stupidity. I’ll take the course, be a good refresher, but one thing seems to escape some is common sense. Treat it as your motorcycle, trust no ones actions.

:yes: That  is my take on it too Mike even after more than 50 years of boating.:smile:

• Thanks 1

If your not at anchor unfortunately they consider that "underway".

I had a blow boater tell me I had to get out of his way when i wasn't even under power!   He ended up learning three things that day...1 sailboats don't always have the right away and 2 that angler harassment is a ticketable offense.  3 there was an eco on the water that day and I have his number...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

in an overtaking situation no matter what the boat power is the vessel being over taken must maintain speed and direction and the over taking vessel must give way a lesson learned by a blow boater on chautauqua after he called the popos on me he explained the situation i did not have to say a word and he was given a ticket

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rougarou said:

in an overtaking situation no matter what the boat power is the vessel being over taken must maintain speed and direction and the over taking vessel must give way a lesson learned by a blow boater on chautauqua after he called the popos on me he explained the situation i did not have to say a word and he was given a ticket

overtaking vessel is also technically supposed to sound an audible signal of his intentions, probably didnt do that either

Edited by bandrus1

No, negative to you chinook. This is right from the NYS boating course.........
"Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. The overtaking is always the give-way vessel and the vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel.

This rule applies even if the overtaking vessel is propelled by wind, oars, or rubber band paddlewheel.Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. The overtaking is always the give-way vessel and the vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel."

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I stand corrected. You are right. The overtaking vessel is give way , no matter the propulsion