Skaneateles walleye

9 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

The reason walleye get protection is walleye anglers don't have any interest in making things easy at the cost of our precious, beloved walleye.  We don't even wanna fish then.  I know plenty of lifters and the ones that walleye fish enough to learn how to catch a walleye wouldn't consider lifting a walleye....weird how social paradigm dictates it's ok to slaughter spawning trout, spawning perch, but we leave walleye alone and have to fish artificials for bass and put them back...or is it that we think trout are only put and take anyway, but whats the excuse for perch?  

Maybe you and your friends leave the walleye alone, that is NOT the case in a lot of places, and that is why there are complete fishing bans during their run in a lot of places.  There are grody poachers out there for everything.

I'll be happy to be allowed to fish in the Finger Lakes  streams for lake run fish only after they have all returned to the lakes if all you trollers will agree to only fish with hookless baits!  And in Owasco and Skaneatles, , and Cayuga lately, rainbows are stocked not totally reliant on Natural reproduction.

The same person who throws that bucket of walleyes could throw a bucket of alewives and upend your whole applecart. That is NOT an acceptable thing to do for either fish!  Look at Conesus Lake, where, BTW, they seem to be coexisting, although, except right after the opener, noone can seem to catch those 10+ lb 'eye. 

Absolutely right about closed water protecting walleye spawn.  The river I look at out my kitchen window is closed then.  I was being facetious about walleye guys don't want it easy...cheaters are everywhere!  I realize that stream fishing is a passion for tons of anglers, but giving the fish a better opportunity to spawn by waiting a week or so isn't a bad idea and there are plenty of beautiful trout caught in finger lakes streams after April 15.  The guy self stocking can get us anytime he wants and it's sad.....on the bright side those alewife fed eyes are beasts!  I wouldn't say nobody can catch em after opening week but its a challenge beyond what a smart person would endure!!!  I'm not sure how alewives ended up in Otisco...I assumed guys used em for bait...and figured that's what happened on Conesus...does anyone know?

No one owns up to putting them in Conesus, It was said years ago that they came in through bait buckets.  Likely the same for all the Fingers that are not attached to the Seneca Canal, where they could have come in from the Oswego River from LO.  I'm actually surprised that Skaneatles escaped this biological pollution.

It is possible to have fair to good trout fishing in many of the tributaries after April 15, but if the opener gets pushed back to then, it will no longer be possible and those later fish that get almost no pressure now would suddenly be being removed when they should be spawning.  After the first week in April, the tribs I fish see almost no one except on Saturday AM.  At least the Region 8 wide one fish limit does seem to be thinning the "fill the freezer" crowd a little bit, but the incorrigible lifters don't follow the limits either when they can get away with it.  I'd like to see a LOT more ECO presence on opening day and for a while thereafter.  Of course, a change in attitude on the part of " sportsmen" so that lifters were generally shunned and ostracized might help, but does not seem likely in the new me-first "Twitter America."

• 4 months later...

Wow. 

The walleye is an illegally introduced species to one of the last true cold water trout fishery lakes in New York State.

The walleye was illegally introduced by short sighted bucket biologists...and an ignorant particular “guide”.

They wanted fish that are easy to catch and good eating in the lake.

A few well known (and one deceased) Homer locals did most of the illegal stocking. These individuals took the hard work of fisheries biologists, those tasked with the management of the lake, and pissed on it.

Skaneateles Lake is a trout lake. Always will be. It is unique. And with restoration and management of the invasive vermin walleye, as the state is proceeding... The trout fishery will continue to dominate as we who live here expect it to.

Thats what local, law abiding sportsmen and women overwhelmingly show support for.

Walleye is vermin in Skaneateles Lake, and anyone supporting or positive of the walleye existence in Skaneateles Lake is either not from around here, is a misguided meat fisherman, or is a one of the illegal walleye stockers... or perhaps a bs guide guilty of introducing this fish in the first place for cash gain.

Sad. But true.

The misguided and illegal stocking of walleye in Skaneateles Lake will frustrate state fishery 

managers and cost taxpayers thousands of dollars in expense. Regional fisheries personnel will to try to reverse this fishes existence in one of the greatest cold water lakes in the state at great effort, risk and cost.

If you support walleye in Skaneateles Lake...well...arrows point to you as a responsible party...but even more so...you show that you do not understand the value of helping to maintain one of the last established cold water fishery lakes in the state in a time when trout need support.

The guide who has been illegally stocking walleye in Skaneateles since 2010 is a scumbag who would do anything for a buck.

It doesn’t take me to say that...he does it himself quite well.

Edited by Crawfish

•  
LOU_member.png.545271670615af6a2872a38e639feb6d.png

Wow. 

The walleye is an illegally introduced species to one of the last true cold water trout fishery lakes in New York State.

The walleye was illegally introduced by short sighted bucket biologists...and an ignorant particular “guide”.

They wanted fish that are easy to catch and good eating in the lake.

A few well known (and one deceased) Homer locals did most of the illegal stocking. These individuals took the hard work of fisheries biologists, those tasked with the management of the lake, and pissed on it.

Skaneateles Lake is a trout lake. Always will be. It is unique. And with restoration and management of the invasive vermin walleye, as the state is proceeding... The trout fishery will continue to dominate as we who live here expect it to.

Thats what local, law abiding sportsmen and women overwhelmingly show support for.

Walleye is vermin in Skaneateles Lake, and anyone supporting or positive of the walleye existence in Skaneateles Lake is either not from around here, is a misguided meat fisherman, or is a one of the illegal walleye stockers... or perhaps a bs guide guilty of introducing this fish in the first place for cash gain

Oh Brother.. Do you and the other ""locals"" OWN this lake?.. Yeah, i thought not.

Rainbows, Browns, LL Salmon are also "invasives" by your logic.. they are NOT native to   Skaneatles.. Only lake Trout are..
 Matter of fact  the Walleye can and will spawn in the lake itself as well as feeder streams, so they are better suited to the lake than your precious trout.
  I realize what this forum is .. Its 90%   fishermen that deep troll for trout  almost exclusively.. thats fine if thats what you like.. There are some here, in the small minority that have no interest in that type of fishing, and LOVE the thought of a viable, or even productive walleye fishery in skaneateles.. Any fish that needs to be stocked yearly to simply exist should be phased out in my opinion, and fish that can  reproduce naturally should get preference in management.. Maybe you can petition the NY state DEC, and they can poison the lake, and then fill it back up with rainbows only ... bob

• 2 weeks later...

It was quite an irony...if it is true. But conjecture and rumor is mislead often. Fingers pointed may be accurate. 

Skaneateles Lake is for the light tackle angler. Trollers that fish for meat should fish the other lakes...Cayuga, Seneca, Ontario...that my opinion. 

Yet because of the tourism you have a couple clowns running trolling/meat fishing charters. It’s all legit. And the lake was and always has been managed as a put and take fishery.

Herein is the flaw.

Anglers...people...want healthy fisheries. Not meat. Think about that.

The walleye will/are going to change the way the lake is managed by the NYSDEC. And those folks, well, they are up against a wall.

With little to work with.

No one has the answer...but NYSDEC...is pert sure the trout stocking program will be ended as long as the lakes illegally introduced walleye continue to go unchecked.

That breaks my heart.

The guys responsible for the illegal walleye stocking...and those that support it...well they can go pound salt.