Fish Fry

Have many batter mixes but a did this one recently and really liked it.

First get some Bachmans sourdough pretzels and grind them up, not to a powder though. Little chunks is fine.

Roll filet in flour with a little black pepper if desired

Light egg/milk wash (or egg/beer as beer and pretzels go well) :rofl:

Roll in the grounded up sourdough pretzel mix.

Into the fryer.

The Pretzels gives it a great crunch with a little bit of salt/sour dough flavor. 

Doesnt taste like a pretzel covered fish:smile:

Edited by Rookie Fisherman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

milk and egg bath and then a mixture of Panko seasoned bread crumbs and finely crushed Ritz crackers along with a little garlic and dill spice added

• 1 year later...

I’ve tried many as believe this one is best. Roll in flour then mix sparkling water with flour till you have a thin batter (similar to tempura) then dip in panko and deep fry. They come out nice and crispy and brown and you never get the oil foaming up like with egg wash. Also can reuse the oil and they don’t seem to absorb any grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have always been partial to Rocky Marsden Fish Crisp, if you can find it.  It is. Canadian product but i believe in the sttes it is the mcormick brand. Another trick i do, put your fillets in pan of water, than squeeze the water out of the filets, repeat until water comes out clear, about three times. Fish filets seem to be firmer and no fishy taste

If you are lucky enough to have a fish market in town, go there and get a bag of their Golden Dipt IMG_0574.JPG all purpose breading. $9.25 for 5 lbs. It’s not the same as you get in the store. My friends run Stan’s in Rome and have cooked thousands of pounds of fish and supply all area restaurants. It has a binder in it so it doesn’t fall off into the oil, burn, and wreck your next batches. I also use their prewash Batter Mix instead of milk and egg.

Constant temp 360 degree oil, 1 min 15 sec deep dry perch, 2 min 45 sec walleye, both at room temperature, Perfect every time. Never any left.

Cook like the pros!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The best mix I've ever had was Dawson Food Products Fish & Chip Batter Mix. You can buy it at Price Chopper, but you have to look for it in the Seafood section.  They normally keep it on a floor level shelf right in front of the Seafood case.

0E5AE5B7-73D6-42E1-9514-48A20A57C857.jpeg

• Like 1