Small Boat, Late Summer Trolling Diagram

Been following this site for a few years when a good friend got me hooked (pun) on this sport. This community has been a huge resource of knowledge so i feel a sincere gratitude for all the info shared. 

As an engineer for a living i often find myself having to sketch out different scenarios (construction....or fishing?).  So here is a sketch i did recently getting pumped up for a Lake O trolling weekend.  Hope it helps folks a fraction of what i have been helped by others on here.  Cheers.

2019-08-07 22.10.12.jpg

Cool drawing, and I'm an engineer too so I can appreciate it.  My problem is I've been fishing the lake so long that I know you almost never get to troll that straight in a small boat so when you start crab walking to one side due to the wind or being in a turn a rigger fish goes under 2 divers or the inside diver goes under the outside diver and copper.....and then the fun really begins ;)  I tend to go with less is more.

• Like 2

You should do a cross section from the back showing lures at depth and spread that is always the hardest part to explain one from the side showing line angle would be cool as well. Second note I usually run my inside deep divers with more line out than the high divers trying to work more separation I have only in the last couple years started running two divers a side curious what others do or if it's a personal preference thing I have had minimal diver tangles bit this year it seems every big king comes up goes wide than dives and manages to be around both dipseys thank God for lots of rod holders to move things around

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Appreciate the drawing! 

Here are my thoughts.

If you are new to this less is more as stated above. Pass on divers 3 & 4 until you have the technique down pat of fishing 1 on each side. 

2 Riggers, 2 divers, 2 junk lines is plenty to handle from a small boat especially if just starting out.

Can always add cheaters to riggers and (or) a chute line.

If coming later this month and fishing shallow shorter copper or cores will be in order, if a lot of tight boat traffic be careful running long lines.

Good luck and let us know how they trip goes!

• Like 1

First let me say I agree with each of the previous posts and the separations in the diagram are good. The point I would add to this discussion is that different spread combinations will all work in a straight line tack or large radius turns.

The point I would add is that you need to consider the changes to the patents that will occur in a turn both to the right and to the left. The changes I am referencing are the depth change because of the inside and outside line speeds will change and so must the depths then change. Of course the rigger change is the least and the dipsy and outriggers are incredibly more.

Great sketch Amerinah! I couldn't agree with you more about all the help folks on this site provide. All you folks, you ARE the best, amazingly willing to share your knowledge, experience and expertise! Sincerely, thank you.

Now to the sketch. I am not an engineer, but I work with them every day. Interesting people, you engineers. Most every thing you sketch or draw looks awesome on paper. The real test is how it works in the field, under actual conditions that can't always be replicated in the office or on paper. Any argument with that, just think about the last time you tried to work under the hood of your car. For many, many years I was one of the guys who tried to build or implement what the engineers had designed. Sometimes it worked, many times......well! I agree with a lot of the comments here, start out simple and work your way up, otherwise you will be trying to straighten out some messes even a NASA scientist couldn't figure out. I really like the sketch though. Honest. And I love your enthusiasm even more. After your field testing please keep us posted as to what worked and what didn't.

I used to tell engineers all the time- "You can draw an ****, but I have to make it s**t".

As a younger engineer I def appreciate the sketching too. I missed out on the hand drafting era, everything I do and have ever done has been in CAD. Prolly a good thing for me because my lettering would be terrible compared to yours! Either way it’s cool to see it laid out like that!

I too sometimes run 2 divers per side, especially on Erie for walleyes. I have run them on Lake O as well, if there isn't a real wonky current. It always worked better when I run the inside diver on a 1 setting and made this my deepest one. The outside diver (usually a slide diver with a 40 to 50' lead) was set on a 3 or 3.5 for separation. Outside was always higher. The idea is that a fish on the outside diver will go over the deeper inside diver as it swings to the back of the boat. Of course sometimes the fish has other ideas but this seems to minimize the risk of a tangle. When deploying divers, of course try to set the outside one first. But it is possible to set the outside one with the inside diver still deployed. Move the inside diver rod to a holder at the back of the boat running straight out the back. Let the outside diver out with the rod out the side of the boat. Keep pressure on with your thumb or drag so the diver immediately starts to swing out as soon as it hits the water. After its set to desired depth move the inside diver back to its rod holder behind the outside diver holder. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2