Aluminum Boats

On the West Coast, an ever growing number of us who fish Ocean, Rivers and Lakes have gone Aluminum. I haven't found information about your boats or preferences here other than what is for sale. I own two boats. One is a 15' Klammath that I use for small Lakes and rough to get to areas. The other is a 22' Motion Marine custom made in Oregon.

I realize there is a Ford vs. Chevy type of argument that exists between Fiberglass and Aluminum but I have a curiosity what you LOU guys prefer. Or is it a bigger is better world? What manufacturers would you promote and why?

On the West Coast "North River" Aluminum Boats has taken a big market share although Trophy and other brands are very well represented.

Quite a few guys run Aluminum here because they are much lighter and easier to tow.

I keep my boat in a slip for the entire season so I definately prefere Fiberglass. It's additional weight makes for a much nicer ride. On the great Lakes the peak to peak distance between waves is very short. Even a 3 foot chop makes for a bumpy ride. As far as what brands it's all personel preference but Lund is very popular. I run a Wellcraft 25 foot and am quite happy with it. Alot of Penn Yans around.

Glen

I'm a Lund Man(1800 fishermen) as glen said I have the Aluminum because I fish in 5 different states and it's easier to pull. It does toss me around abit but it is still very fishable in 3 to 5 footers as long as there is no white water on top of the waves :lol: If I only fished Lake O I would also slip or store the boat near the lake and a Glass would be my choice also. they do make some nice metal boats out your way.

Cyber Fisherman, The only problem I found with aluminum, is if you want a new big aluminum boat 24 to 26ft you have to go to the mid west or the west coast to get a boat like a hewes craft or a north river. Then what do you do if you need to get it worked on. I always wanted a new hewes craft or north river but the distance to a dealer is what made me decide against it. I had an alumacraft trophy 190 it was a great boat and I caught a lot of fish out of it. I am moving up to a little bigger boat this year. Sean

You have to pick and chose your days very wisely for the Ocean here. Our bigger Lakes like Tahoe or Pyramid (in Nevada) can be just as unnerving if the wind picks up.

The advantages of the aluminum for me has been towing, cleanliness and speed. At sea level the Honda 225 will push the boat to 50 + mph with two souls on board. I do use a Dodge 3/4 4x4 Cummins to haul it up the mountain but I also spent a lot of money on a trany upgrade and the Edge with 'attitude" chip. Both are worth their weight in gold in my opinion.

With the market in such a funk I'd think new boats are probably as inexpensive as a good used one?

Hookedup - I've heard that excuse many times out here. The only thing the manufacturer warrants is the boat. Everything else from the motors to the electronics would be serviced by those manufacturers. If there was damage to the boat frame it would be on me. If it is a crack or superstructure failure then it's on the manufacturer. That would be a case that supports your argument. Though I believe the chance of it would be very rare. The odds are that because of distance the manufacturer might authorize a closer fabrication shop to do a small crack repair.

I've had Aluminum, Fiberglass & wood. The glass one made some funny noises as a wave broke & I landed on a sandbar. I'd much rather have a dent in an aluminum boat than in a glass one. Bluefin 18 Ft'r for over 20 years & have never regretted it. Stored in my driveway & towed to the launch. Good width to length ratio. Have been out in 5 ft waves. Very stable. Boat will probably last longer than I will.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I prefer an aluminum 18' boat because it travels down the Thruway ay 65 MPH fine. From Lake Ontario to Lake Erie in Ohio it works well. If it is too rough out there for the 18 footer, it is too rough period no matter what size boat you have. The market for used boats today is a buyers market and if I were to buy one I would get a welded aluminum trailer boat. An 18' boat trails well behind a 6 cylinder, 2 wheel drive truck for good fuel mileage. Unless you have too many new friends it is comfortable for 3 guys and easy to handle when you go out alone.

I have a 32' Marinette that we need to keep an eye on the electolysis even on freshwater. The zincs in an aluminum boat are more magnesium than zincs in a steel boat. You can have ac or dc problems with your boat or even a neighboring boat.

Apposing metals are the major places to watch for corrosion. My boats manufacturer used plastic washers to insulate. Even down to the stainless cover snaps. I keep a digital voltmeter on board and test the boat every now and again.

I have found that a product named Alumiprep is excellent for cleaning the zincs. Just spray it on and hose it off. (It's an acid.) Alumiprep is a product carried at automotive paint and body product stores. Mainly I used this product to clean the hull and then paint the hull with Sharkhyde. Another product I can highly recommend.

Fishstalker....that boat looks gorgeous!

Like many, I've owned both and I currently have 2 boats (alum & glass). I had an 18 ft. Lund fisherman and loved It but I found there to be to many blow off days on lake O. I take kids as often as I can also, and we got caught out In surprise 5 + fters one day and though the Lund handled It, my son got a little freaked so that was It for me! To make It more enjoyable for the kids I got a bigger glass boat and sold the Lund. Then I picked up a smaller 16 ft Alum. dual console for smaller lakes, rivers and travel.

I doubt I'd ever go alum. again on the big lake, but I certainly understand why many do. Aluminum boats have a big up side! In the summer I predominately fish lake O so If I ever have to downsize to one boat again, I'd probably go with a smaller fiberglass. My 24ft'r weights between 3-4 tons but I can still tow It. It's just not as easy, but I have far fewer blow off days and It's so much more comfortable fishing In 3-4 footers!! I think my kids have an overall better experience In the larger glass boat so that makes It a no brainier for me, even If It's a bit more work for me.

One thing I should add though, Is that I fish the east end of the lake A lot. With prevailing west winds It's often times very bumpy. If my stomping ground were at the west end Of the lake I'd probably have a different opinion, as they have far fewer blow off days than we do on the east end.

I am running a p[acific 2325V alloy boat made by pacific in washington state.These are the absolute best alluminum boats that I have ever owned.They are virtually indestructable and very low maintence.Mine is a 2005 and equiped with a 150 honda.The dealer for the east coast is www.blacklabmarine.com .jay perotta the owner is a pleasure to deal with and his word is gospel.My boat was late coming from being built on the west coast.Jay brought me down a new loaner boat(14 hours one way from Maine) until mine was finished.How is that for service??

since my anything that floats days i've owned an aluminum tracker,and an aluminum lund. both are fine boats but both floors rotted out after 6 and 7 years,respectivly.now i own a fiberglass champion v-hull. it rides and tows about the same as the tin boats. i only picked glass so i wouldn't have to replace another floor.just my two cents. ps;if your boat and truck payments are more than your mortgage....you might be a redneck.

Dear FishStalker,

Have enjoyed all hull materials except concrete. My present boat is a West Coast Style 23 ft. aluminum center console boat built in Parry Sound, Ontario by Connors Industries (formerly Stanley Boat Works).Circa (1998) that is....1/4 inch thick bottom and sides aluminum plate. Maint. has been minimal and no signs of deterimental corrosion. Spent most of its bottom time on fresh water lakes and RIVERS. Have parked on beaches and The Lake Ontario shoreline with only minor abrasions. Never did that with my glass boats. Of course the Hamilton 213 jet drive is a distinct advantage for obtaining dockage anywhere in shallow water! And reverse operation is so much better then twin inboards. Just my two cents.

Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill

(NW style boat with Heater also!)

I guess if you are of the mind to sledge hammer your boat or drop it from a crane, then maybe you would have an interest in a Triumph. Most of the Aluminum boats manufactured in Oregon are built with diverse things in mind. Many fish the boulder strewn rivers of Washington and Oregon or the cold Coastal waters of Alaska. Going across the potato patch out the Golden Gate can be a thrill too! Aluminum boats have found a strong market on this Coast.

Whoa - 65? ........... Calif. you can only tow at 55MPH.

Legally that is... :lol:

Fishstalker....that boat looks gorgeous!

And it rides as good as it looks.

I am sure glad he put me in his will... 8)

As far as a choice in boats, I also pick an aluminum as well.

But my favorite boat was my dads 56 Chris Craft Capri. (wood)

Hi Gents,

Hope that you'll excuse the intrusion of a vendor on your forum but the other day I had two people from western NY ask for brochures. That's odd I thought...

One of them replied informing me about this thread so I came to see the discussion.

Just wanted to say "Hi!". If anyone has questions about alloy boats I'd be happy to answer.

Here's a pic of one of our boats on Lake Ontario (Rochester)

blacklabmarine_2027_11421182

blacklabmarine_2027_58727506

Thank you,

Jay Perrotta, Owner

Black Lab Marine, Inc.

Rock Salt Boats

There ya go .............. someone taking advantage of an opportunity to move some merchandise. Times must be tough!

I watched a program on the Dish the other day about guys prepossessing boats. When the chips are down the boat is the first thing to go. :(