Looseeye’s Seneca and Cayuga 8/10-14 Running Report

First time out and I am reporting as promised.

Just got back from fishing out of Sampson Marina. Headed to the Nwest side of the lake to try to play the winds which have kept me on the trailer since arrival. Ran a spoon program hoping for silver at 2-2.4mph. No silver but Landed 4 lakers. One with a lamprey which was promptly made into two and “released”. All fish looked really healthy, released well and swam away strong. Headed in at 11 when things got rough and I got hungry.

Was pleased for 2.5 hours out. Spoons which took fish were a Sutton 44, Medium Honeybee in green (finish 569), firetiger Jake spoon and green alewife scorpion.

52 degrees was anywhere from 35-45 foot down depending on where I was which surprised me.

Hopefully I’ll be out again soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hopefully Monday or Wednesday. All weather dependent. Probably launch @ deans cove. Gonna head back out on Seneca tomorrow I think. Try some different areas and some different spoon sizes to see if I can connect a few more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was out of Dean's this morning lines in at 6:30 out at 9.  Ran down by Sheldrake and set up a South troll as Northwest wind was pushing that way.  Worked the middle over 300+ fow.  Loads of marks 50-110 down, same as last week.  Last week mostly lake trout but a couple salmon including 1 nice one hit spoons and flies but today mainly a fly bite.  Couldn't keep the dipsey rod in the water as kept firing with lake trout.  #2 setting 200 down carrying a flasher + hammer fly.  Downriggers were quiet until 8 when a couple small salmon hit a cheater off a rigger set down 80 and then a 29"+ lake trout hit the same cheater.  That was the big fish of the morning but several others over 28" and all solid fish with many that are starting to swell in the midsection with roe.  The thermocline in the middle has been great since early July but mostly lake trout and majority of salmon have been small.  I would love to hear from others who may be finding more silvers.

IMG_20190810_075344.jpg

8/12 - Back from Cayuga. Fished out of Deans cove, went south almost to sheldrake then north as well.

Marked lots of bait, fished anywhere from 120-300+ fow. Ended the day with two lakers around 20”, one 19” salmon, one short salmon and one short rainbow. Hot spoon was a Sutton 44” on a diver. Riggers never fired once.

Now and then yes. Been changing it out but yesterday I had a 124mm deeper diver on a 3 setting out w a green flasher and fly half the time and it took both the lakers. My hot diver has been a silver 107 deeper out 175’ on a 3 setting with a Sutton 44.

Gonna lay low today, if weather is ok maybe get out tonight.

Thanks Reel Doc. We got two with that method today.

My last and final report for 8/14.

Fished out of Sampson again, tried both sides in 100-150 fow. Kept everything high except for the previously mentioned flasher fly which took a two lakers, one 18” and one a hair over 20”. Temp was anywhere from 40-60ish down. Kept speed 2.3 and above. Pretty slow day for us until the end when we landed 3 bows in a row. One 14”, one 15” and one 17”. Two smaller ones came on the trusty diver / sutton combo which has been producing all week. The last and biggest came on a rainbow trout speedy shinner which was stacked @47’ down and only 30’ back. Only other fish was a itty bitty salmon my wife pulled in on the same speedy shinner.

All fish released to fight again.

Thanks for the fun Seneca and Cayuga lakes! If all goes well maybe I’ll be back again next year (or sooner).