Expired emergency flares.

BreakingBass

I recently replaced my expired day/night emergency flares.  I contacted the regional USCG office and my local FD and neither will accept the expired flares for disposal.  I'd just torch them in my backyard some day but I doubt the neighbors will appreciate the plumes of orange smoke wafting through their yards (OK, maybe their kids will).  Anybody found a place that will accept expired flares for disposal?

Don't put them in the trash no matter how much you soak them, there's always a chance of something in the trash reacting with them and starting a fire. They can be used to start camp fires or I also keep some expired ones on the boat, hope I never bed them but just incase. 

4 hours ago, Firechief48 said:

Don't put them in the trash no matter how much you soak them, there's always a chance of something in the trash reacting with them and starting a fire. They can be used to start camp fires or I also keep some expired ones on the boat, hope I never bed them but just incase. 

I got sh*t from the sheriffs boat for having expired flares on my boat.  I had a case of new ones and the expired ones as back ups. 

They told me no problem and why not have them as spares.

I got sh*t from the sheriffs boat for having expired flares on my boat.  I had a case of new ones and the expired ones as back ups. 

Silverfoxcharters.net

Probably not in their budget or job description. Appears to be a Hazmat issue. There should be a Hazmat office around somewhere.

Gambler took them off my hands, thanks Gambler! But I still have a question: if the USCG requires you to swap these out every 42 months why don't they offer a safe disposal program? 

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Keep them on the boat. You need current ones to be legal but the old ones are still good for some time. I always carry extras for that just in case day I hope never comes. I would rather have extras on board and not need them than need them but not have them.

13 hours ago, BP Swing said:

Same problem here. I have like 3 packs of expireds and have no clue what to do with them. Nobody seems to know what the right thing to do is.

I will take them if you want to get rid of them.  I'm right in Hilton and I could pick them up.