I’m headed to Kring point Wednesday for 6 days. I’ve never been there before but I’ve read almost everything I can find on fishing up there. I was planning on just fishing in the bay that’s there but I read somewhere that it’s overwhelmed with weeds this time of year? Basically I’m just looking to catch anything that I can put in the cooler, pike, perch, if I’m lucky maybe come walleye or crappie. Anyone have any input, tips? Thanks. 

• 5 weeks later...

Well one of the biggest problems is that there is SO MUCH good structure! So which pieces hold fish at any particular time, is sometimes hard to determine! Then, which techniques will work best at that time (or season) is another piece of the puzzle. I have been able to catch smallmouth, largemouth ( in the bays) and perch without much issue each summer trip, but walleyes have given me fits!! I read EVERYTHING thing I can find, and follow some of the experts (who put there time in!!) on this site and others. I am not looking for spots, but rather a particular technique that is working at that moment. But sometimes that still doesn't pan out. I spent whole week of 8/10 thru 8/17 trying to target 'Eyes with no success. But I got hung up on trolling and drifting bottom bouncers w worm harness's and could only get perch and gobies. lol. When i got home, read Kevin Legg's posts(he puts in a LOT of time on the river and that is invaluable!) on here that he got fish almost every day (night lol) that wk trolling deep divers! I had them, tried w them once or twice, but kept going back to my original rigs. Bad choice.

If you want to catch smallies, trolling deep crankbaits on points or shoals, or fishing with dropshot rigs, WILL put fish in the boat, BUT you have to trust your electronics and ride over some of these spots before you drop a line and waste your time. Even the cheapest depthfinder (sensitivity turned up!)can show life on pieces. Remember, 90% the fish, are in 10% of the water. Also, buy the "fishing maps" available in almost every tackle store up there. Info is a bit dated, but most of those spots will hold some fish, while giving you an idea about what type of structure and spots you should be looking for on any chart you have. Good luck.

I just am now booking a 2nd trip up in 2 wks, to give walleye another shot! Water should be cooling and bite should heat up. And get shallower, from the 50 to 70 ft depths I was working in August!

• Like 1

I haven't run down that far either. I KNOW there were a ton of walleye east of Abay last summer. I videoed them chasing my baits and smacking but NOT biting them on my underwater camera in 65'. But didn't have worms that trip and was pulling Gulp leeches on worm harnesses behind 3 n 4 oz bottom bouncers. watched over a doz BIG eyes track bait and even smack it. But camera makes it even harder to feel a bite, but was cool vid footage.

they are there just acting all sorts of finicky it seems like this year,  in some spots spread out or tight in groups in tiny areas in other spots ,taking longer to pick up a limit or 2 of eyes this summer even though still getting 2-7 bites at dusk in 2-3 hours multiple nights a week... jig up a couple till they shut off then extra slow troll small rapalas in front of them to get a reaction bite is what im doing , unless I got a spot located with a group of eyes then its jigging all the way

• Like 1

Pierce1308, if you don't mind me asking, what speeds do you slow troll at? Also what depth range? Thanks for any info. Heading up this Sat for 6 days. Staying in Goose Bay. When I was up at Kring in August, took Video of a bunch of nice fish in vicinity of Excelsior shoals in 50 to 60'. They would not bight worms in harnesses or gulp baits. I both drifted through (when I sent down camera), and trolled both with and against current. BTW, do you all favor with or against current trolling. I realize predators rather face into current to feed, but sometimes I will use current to control boat speed, depending on wind and current conditions. Thanks for any info. I have been coming up to the 1000 islands very summer for 15 years, but didn't really start trying for walleye in all seriousness, till I 1st saw the on my underwater camera 3 years ago. 

Bill

typically heavy current areas I like going into the current at .7-1.1 mph sweet spot is .8-.9mph which is typically how fast I vertically jig drifting down with the current , more open areas like clayton and chippewa bay area as slow as I can usually like 1.8 -2.0mph trolling into the current also , depths are usually 35-75' but most of the time I'm in 50-65' 

Thanks both Riggered and Pierce. At least I know I was hitting the right marks w speed and depth. But was using big motor this summer a bit, and even into the current it was just too fast (about 1.8 to 2.3mph.). But w electric I can tweak all I want. Then again had 14 x 19 wheel on . Just switched this morning to a 17". That may take .5mph (to .25) off the speed at idle(while giving me more holeshot I am looking for in freshwater). 

Riggered I have tried RI a couple years ago while staying on Wellesley. Marked some nice fish, but only managed a short or 2. Will give it another go next wk. Hoping water has cooled down a couple degrees from August and that should help. Will probably get another Canadian license again, in case I want to hit some spots there. Did ok on smallies right off Little Grenadier, and marked what I thought were Eyes a little deeper off ledge there in August. 

Do you guys find the Walleye feed shallower when water cools at night in fall? Or still target same depth's?

I've fished them into November in the same sections I usually fish , some spots they slide shallow during day and night to feed heavily before winter , in deeper channel spots I've notice lots of eater males 18-22" from September-ice up slide deeper into the 75-120' range  jigging them on bottom , edges of the mid depth holes in the river 

• Like 1