Questions on Oneida

tim

I’m coming from Amsterdam way never fished Onieda but fished many walleye waters .My grandkids and my son want to try it on Wednesday any tips on where to go and how to fish it. Any tips would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I fished it yesterday for a couple of hours.  Made one pass along the  entire north side of shackleton shoals in 32 to 40 fow.  We run riggers on the bottom with #7 and #9 perch rapalas (the newer one) and do well with Reef Runners on braided line on inline boards with snap weights.  75 back, 2 oz weight, then 75 feet to the board or 100 feet back, 3 oz weight, 50 feet to board will get you down around 30 feet at 2.2 to 2.4 mph.  Get a couple Bare naked Reef runners.  tough to beat on the boards.  Saw plenty of guys drifting warm harnesses with bottom bouncers.  That usually works too.  We ended up with a dozen or so walleyes with 5 keepers up to 20 inches.   Nothing over 38 feet of water.

Probably plenty being caught in the weeds too, but I just stick with the deeper trolling.  

Ned rigs and other jigs are producing well on shoals if you aren't a troller.  My boys caught a dozen plus fishing a bass tournament 8-9 days ago.  Pm me and I'll give you a good spot to try.  Honestly, Oneida is a great numbers lake no matter what your technique.