Cayuga Mystery ship

I saw this last week. It was towing possibly a small raft and at least 3 buoys that were about 100 (edit: 700 feet is more accurate) feet apart. I did not hear any sounds. I heard DEC annual fish sampling was occurring so that is my wild guess.

Edited by 58Johnson

Here is your mystery solved.......

It is a research vessel towing a 2500 foot cable, they are doing depth soundings supposedly to explore a shipping channel, per the captain on board the vessel.  I questioned him Sunday as he passed beside me.  He was not flying the appropriate day signals for what he was doing to indicate the tow, he had a small skiff bringing up the rear of the tow and another vessel running interference with boats that might run into the cable.  On the whole it was a less than safe operation....but that is what it was.

I am curious. Which section of the lake was this? I read recently that some underwater (electric) transmission lines were going to be replaced on Seneca. Perhaps something of this nature is in the works for Cayuga.

I hope the guy was honest and they aren't mapping for a gas or oil pipeline nearby.

Edited by Sk8man

32 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I hope the guy was honest and they aren't mapping for a gas or oil pipeline nearby.

The town of Lansing (where Myers is located) has a moratorium on gas pipelines or infrastructure. If you build a house or an apartment complex there the option of heating with natural gas is non existent as NYSEG is not permitted to run the necessary lines. In addition, the permits to convert the power plant on Cayuga from coal to natural gas were denied by the state. So, it will be shutting down. Anyway, since the state owns the bottom of the lake, a pipeline is just never going to happen during Prince Andy's lifetime.

My seat of the pants guess is that they are mapping the geologic formations under the lake. Probably has something to do with the salt mine which is near Myers and runs many miles North from there. The mine is planning to add a new entrance shaft several miles North of their current surface location.

Insert other media.url

Same boat was pulling a different sonar rig around last year. DEC told me that they were working for   Cargill .     And they are pulling a half mile of cable this time with a small boat at the end.

Edited by Ahab

1 hour ago, Lewis863 said:

Yeah I have checked notice to mariners no mention of the work listed and not flying appropriate day signals as well as insufficient markings on cable ...I will be pursuing it

Get em, Cap!

Got word from a friend who works for an environmental group in the Finger Lakes. It's positively Cargill doing mapping and other exploration of the bottom in preparation for their new tunnels expanding northward under the lake It will apparently be happening through the end of August between Ithaca and Long Point. Group is trying to fight it with DEC out of concern for the loud noises in the water and possible impacts on the fish/wildlife.