Mercury pro kicker experiences

Brian S

Looking to add a kicker to my 16 fishmaster 196 that is already pre rigged for Mercury. Thinking a 9.9 pro kicker and was looking for opinions/ experiences.

Anybody running a late model 9.9 pro kicker and if so what are your likes/dislikes? Some searches I did turned up complaints on the fuel system( carb, jets) fouling up with ethanol gas, but I only run the non ethanol anyway. Anybody have or heard of this?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a ‘12 196. I love the boat, it’s the second 196 I’ve had. The first one was an ‘06 with a 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I loved that set up, trolled down to 1.8 with a small bag, planted nicely at about 15 mph, and topped out in the low 30s.

The ‘12 has a 150 mercury 4 stroke and a merc 9.9 four stroke. The kicker works flawlessly. The issue with this set up is that I think the 150 plus the kicker makes the boat rather stern heavy causing steering issues at low speed. I fill the livewell with water to add some ballast in the bow.

The 150 has sort of adjustment feature on the tach that allows the motor to be operated in a trolling mode. It allows for rpm adjustments of 50 (rpms) to control speed. I’ve used that feature in the past, and it works really well.

So, in my experience in your situation, the kicker works great, but I’m not sure it’s needed because of the weight and option of trolling with the main.

Good luck fellow 196 owner-

Rusty

Rusty

I have a ‘12 196. I love the boat, it’s the second 196 I’ve had. The first one was an ‘06 with a 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I loved that set up, trolled down to 1.8 with a small bag, planted nicely at about 15 mph, and topped out in the low 30s.

The ‘12 has a 150 mercury 4 stroke and a merc 9.9 four stroke. The kicker works flawlessly. The issue with this set up is that I think the 150 plus the kicker makes the boat rather stern heavy causing steering issues at low speed. I fill the livewell with water to add some ballast in the bow.

The 150 has sort of adjustment feature on the tach that allows the motor to be operated in a trolling mode. It allows for rpm adjustments of 50 (rpms) to control speed. I’ve used that feature in the past, and it works really well.

So, in my experience in your situation, the kicker works great, but I’m not sure it’s needed because of the weight and option of trolling with the main.

Good luck fellow 196 owner-

Rusty

Rusty
My boat too has the Mercury 150 4s as the main motor. I have already installed a smartcraft tachometer to adjust rpm for trolling and I agree, it works very well. I ran this setup on my Lund in lieu of a kicker due to cost, space, weight on transom, and because I knew I would be sliding up in boat size.

I am considering the kicker because I plan on keeping the Starcraft for a long time and I wonder if keeping 10-15 yrs worth of trolling hours off the main motor would be worth it. Combine that with the redundant safety of having an auxiliary engine and that is where I am at.

I have 2 large batteries in the bow that must weigh 60lbs each for the electric trolling motor. Do you run an electric motor on yours and also have batteries up front?

Thanks for the feedback.

Brian

My boat too has the Mercury 150 4s as the main motor. I have already installed a smartcraft tachometer to adjust rpm for trolling and I agree, it works very well. I ran this setup on my Lund in lieu of a kicker due to cost, space, weight on transom, and because I knew I would be sliding up in boat size.

I am considering the kicker because I plan on keeping the Starcraft for a long time and I wonder if keeping 10-15 yrs worth of trolling hours off the main motor would be worth it. Combine that with the redundant safety of having an auxiliary engine and that is where I am at.

I have 2 large batteries in the bow that must weigh 60lbs each for the electric trolling motor. Do you run an electric motor on yours and also have batteries up front?

Thanks for the feedback.

Brian

You are welcome Brian.

I don't have a bow mounted trolling motor. I'm sore the two batteries add some needed now ballast.

What prop is on your 150 ? I'm having some concerns with the performance of the 150 on my 196, and think it may be prop related.

Thanks - Rusty

Rusty

The prop on my 150 is a 3 blade, 13.5" (assuming I'm measuring correctly) and 19 pitch aluminum. It is almost certainly the original that the dealer or manufacturer selected for the boat ( I am the second owner).

You are welcome Brian.

I don't have a bow mounted trolling motor. I'm sore the two batteries add some needed now ballast.

What prop is on your 150 ? I'm having some concerns with the performance of the 150 on my 196, and think it may be prop related.

Thanks - Rusty

Rusty

• Like 1

I have a 24.5 chapparall sport fisherman with a 9.9 mercury kicker boat weighs 4k dry, bought in 2017 new. It is awesome and i have never had an issue, tops out at about 6 mph. Ive done the reccomended maintenance each year.

I have an eazy steer connecting it to main engine.

only run non ethanol

highly reccommend it.