Mercury 150 owners

rusty1034

Howdy all,

I have a Starcraft Fishmaster 196 pushed by a Mercury 150 four stroke. Both are 2012 editions.

I believe the boat is experiencing excessive prop slippage during acceleration, and am looking for some input on the issue.

I don’t have numbers as to rpms and mph, but after the boat gets on plane, the rpms seem to be too high. When the boat gets to about 20-25 mph, I can pull the throttle back, and the prop seems to “catch”. By that I mean the rpms will drop suddenly, but the boat continues at the same speed.

On the motor currently is a 15” x 17p propeller. It’s in good shape.

I bought the boat used, and with it came an extra propeller, it’s a 14.5”x 19p. It’s in pretty bad shape, and I’m guessing it’s the prop that came on the boat when it was new.

1) Are there other folks out there with the same boat/motor configuration ? If so, what prop are you running, and do you experience excessive prop slippage ?

2) Can you tell by the information I’ve given if the current prop is correct for the boat.

3) Could the issue be caused by something other than the prop- clutch perhaps. If so, what the diagnosis to determine clutch slippage ?

Thanks in advance for you help

Rusty

Rusty

What is the max motor hp listed for your boat? My 19ft aluminum Sea Nymph was rated at 140hp max but it ran 36 mph with a 1986 Evinrude 2 stroke 90hp, and it seemed like plenty of motor for a 19ft aluminum boat.

A 150hp 4 stroke seems like too much motor for a 19ft boat, but I don't know for sure.

My 22ft Crestliner Sabre uses a 150hp Evinrude 2 stroke with a 15x17 prop.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Edited by Todd in NY

Potentially "blow by" or exhaust leaking out from around the prop where it meets the lower unit. There should be very little room between the two. Maybe post a pic of that ? I'm no pro, but I've heard the symptoms are similar to car spinning out without traction. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Rusty. I also have a 2012 Merc 150 Fourstroke pushing a 2102 Trophy. Had same prop as you (Alum. 17P) which pushed the boat to 39 mph. There was considerable slipping of the prop upon acceleration but it would catch up in a short time after planing. I went to a stainless prop with 15P and eliminated most of my slippage. The fact you state when you back off the throttle and the rpms drop and the boat then catches up would lead me to think you may have an issue with the flo torque prop HUB located inside the prop. saltr.

I have a fishmaster 210 , came with the same motor and prop, and had the exact same issue.

I did a lot of homework and ended up with a 4 blade stainless power tech, different pitch .

expensive prop but the difference is night and day.

I have a fishmaster 210 , came with the same motor and prop, and had the exact same issue.
I did a lot of homework and ended up with a 4 blade stainless power tech, different pitch .
 expensive prop but the difference is night and day.

Thanks Born to Fish.

Could I trouble you for the size and pitch of the prop you are using ?

Rusty

14.25 x15 I think

Whatever model it is  perfect, there are  variables like cup , rake, etc

I can’t r the exact model , I can look when I get home Sunday. If you are near the oak you could try it on your boat if you like. 

Check the prop hub and make sure it didn't spin. Guy near me had an issue with his 150 Mercury last week. At idle, boat would move fine. Anything above 1500 or so and boat wouldn't move, no forward movement. The prop hub was toast. Replaced it and back in business.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you all. Especially to Born to Fish for offering to let me try his prop.

I talked to a outboard mechanic. He said check the hub, if that’s not it, then needs a different prop.

I was able to got a WOT reading- 5960 rpms. From what I can tell, the recommended rpm form,the motor is 5000-5800 rpms.

Rusty

Dose your prop have air holes in it? Mercury props have air ports to help put air around the prop to create area for the prop to spin. If you have openings on it and your prop is spinning to fast it will wash out. I need them open on my bass boat to get it moving  but I don’t on my Fishmaster. 

• Like 1

Really not that hard start with the motor I have seen boat dealers install them wrong and costumers assume they did it right. If that's good just go get an inertia prop and game over. I have used the power tech props and they are good but the inertia is the better of the props for that boat. I have power tech's on another boat and it is the best for that boat. should be more than a 15 min job.

Thank you Ski-dooz. I tried checking it while on the trailer in the driveway. There wasn’t enough clearance to get the outboard all the way down. If I had to guess, I’m about a # 9. I’ll address that concern when I leave it with the marina tomorrow.

Rusty

Rusty

If it's 9 I would move my motor down a hole. mine is between 8-7 , 8-8 Because My boat is loaded heavy.With 3 guy avg. 265# and it most times full of fuel it's a heavey load. Most salmon boats are loaded heavy.... Hell just one of my spoon boxes would be 50# lol  

Edited by ski-dooz

Think about the weight of 3-4 riggers, 3-4 rigger weights, the fish cooler, the heavy duty tackle, all the fuel, the beers, the fishing buddies. HEAVY!

If it's 9 I would move my motor down a hole. mine is between 8-7 , 8-8 Because My boat is loaded heavy.With 3 guy avg. 265# and it most times full of fuel it's a heavey load. Most salmon boats are loaded heavy.... Hell just one of my spoon boxes would be 50# lol  

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app