Cayuga Targeting silvers

I'd like to target silvers this next weekend. I haven't had a ll salmon on since early spring on cayuga. And that one was a dink. Any ideas on targeting them? I just want to make sure im starting in the right ballpark atleast. Just talking generalities here, no need to give secrets up...

Run light flouro leaders 8 to 10 lbs?

Long leads off the downrigger ball?

Small spoons, bright colored?

Run fast, 2.2 and up?

Run high in the water column...40 to 50 ft and up?

Thanks in advance. If I get any this weekend I'll be sure to post a report. 

I don't think anyone has them totally pegged right now:smile:  I think I'd be running a bit faster at about 2.5 and up with lines out of the turbulence. They weren't cooperative last weekend for us (only lakers even up high and one dink salmon) but we marked a lot of fish (and some bait pods) that could have been some of them as well as rainbows in the 40-60 ft range over 100-350 ft of water. Lakers are all over the place so you pretty much can't avoid them either even way of temp. Our downriggers were quiet all day even with long leads but that can vary day to day like everything else. Need to cover a lot of territory and experiment the whole time and hopefully something will let you dial in on them. We had a ferocious hit that got off after a pretty good run that looked like it may have been a decent salmon that came on a wire rig at 175 ft wire out with a green flasher and white fly. sure didn't seem like any laker:lol:. Good luck with it.

Edited by Sk8man

this past weekend we did good on silvers on cayuga both day , 2 riggers leads from 40-80' 2-3"spoons natural colors, and 2 slide divers with orange backed spoons running fast 3.0-3.6 surface speed , only slowed down to 2.8-3.0 surface speed for a little bit to catch a few brown trout 

Thanks guys. If you had to pick the north half of Cayuga or the south half of Cayuga, for targeting salmon which one would you pick? I've got two full days to fish this weekend and was thinking of launching at long point one day, and myers the other just to cover as much ground as possible. 

You'll likely encounter a lot of recreational boaters at Long Point as the day progresses. That said, it is one of my favorite spots at first light. I like to figure 8 on the point several times before going north. You may pick up a bow there as well. Try the same thing at  Stony Point just a short distance north. Then run up and down the break of the shelf in front of the college. 

22 minutes ago, fingerlakesfreddy said:

You'll likely encounter a lot of recreational boaters at Long Point as the day progresses. That said, it is one of my favorite spots at first light. I like to figure 8 on the point several times before going north. You may pick up a bow there as well. Try the same thing at  Stony Point just a short distance north. Then run up and down the break of the shelf in front of the college. 

Some good info right there. That area mentioned on the east side near (Wells College in Aurora north and nearly across from Dean's Cove on the west side) usually has a lot of rainbows hanging around there but you need to be careful with riggers and wire setups etc. because it can be like banging up against a wall in terms of the bottom structure of the shelf in front of there.

Thanks guys. My current plan is this:

I dont live far from myers, so friday morning wait for the rain to break around 6 or 630 then head out of Myers.

Then saturday hit long point at first light and pull out around lunch time.

Then if I still done have any success Sunday morning pick one of the two again.

I appreciate all the help. Hopefully I can post a report to help out after this weekend as well.

I promised a report so here we go.

I got a little later of a start thinking it was going to rain some this morning. It didn't. On the water at 645 and off at 1130 from myers. I ended the day with 3 ll salmon. The first two were dinks at about 12 inches. The third was 18 to 19 inches. All put back to fight another day. The first two were south of taughannock and the third was north of taughannock by the boy scout camp. Ran over to the east side by myers but there were a ton of floating weeds so mainly stuck to the west side.

One came on a sutton 44, and the other two on a mooselook thinfish that was blue and silver. They were down anywhere from 25 to 40 over all sorts of depths. Speed was 3 to 3.5

I did see some huge marks suspended near the bottom, which I'm guess were lakers

I feel like now I atleast have an idea of what they want. Now to find some with some size.