Fly Rod

I am In the market for a Fly Rod, but my ability Is :no:. I've only fished with a fly rod one or two times In my life, and that was 5-6 years ago. I'd like to get a good all around rod. I'm going on a trip to the Florida Keys Early February and I'll be bonefishing on the flats several days. It will be a good place to learn...no trees behind me to snag. The only rod I have Is a 4-5 wt, I must not have researched before buying It? I read that an 8-9 wt Is best for Bonefish, Is that what you use for steelhead also, or Is a 7 better? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want junk either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Hi Rod,

Yep a 4 or 5 weight is a little light for what you're talking about. An 8 weight will serve you much better for both bonefish and steelhead although it will be hard to cover all the bases with just one rig. Kinda like getting one rod and reel to run on riggers, divers, boards and wire and yet still be light enough for early spring browns.

However, a GOOD quality 9 foot, 8 weight fly rod with a good quality reel capable of holding 200 yards of backing plus a good quality weight forward fly line will do well for you. Did I mention "good quality" enough? You don't need an $800 Sage rod or a $400 Hardy reel but don't skimp on either one. Buy the best you can afford and go out to an open farm pond and catch some bluegills or bass. Practice your techniques more than trying to actually catch fish.

I believe there are also some casting instructional DVD's available. Try the Orvis school or even Bass Pro to see if they have some instruction available.

Good luck!

Paul

Orvis Clearwater II, 10' 8wt & mid arbor reel+backing& line puts you in biz for about as cheap as it gets, maybe a little heavy for steelhead but would work for salmon as well, I think the promo on the reels gets you an extra spool for the reel till the end of the month.

Rod - you lucky bas&^%$!! What I wouldn't give to have a few days on the flats :yes:

7/8 weight will work fine for both steelies and bonefish, as was previously stated too light for salmon runs. Do some shopping around for rods, I was able to find a smoking deal on a clearance Sage 5 wt. a few years ago from a shop in Rochester. Mid level Sage & Orvis rods cast a whole lot better than a lot of other high end rods IMHO. If you're gonna be hunting the flats you'll want a rod that can really shoot line in windy conditions.

As far as reels are concerned, I'd look for a good large arbor reel. Definitely what you want for bonefish and steelies. I have a Redington LA that is not overly pricey but has a great drag system. Just make sure you rinse the heck out of it after every outing in the salt.

You do know how to "double haul" right??

DAN

Rod,

Take a serious look at the Lamson Konic in the 3.5 or 4 size. The konic has the same super smooth drag in it as is in Lamsons litespeed, velocity and other higher end reels. I got the 3.5 this fall from Cabelas for $139.00 and it is SHA-WEET. The Konic is widely regarded as the best reel for the money currently on the market. I was going back and forth between that and the Ross CLA and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra 100 scoots on the Ross.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Tim

Thanks for all the replies and pm's guys, your really helping me out and I appreciate It. I'm taking It all In and I hope to get a rod and reel picked out this week.

Dan, I have never fished the flats so this will be a new experience for me. I don't fly fish either so It will be a really new experience! I got lucky and got 5 days booked on Long Key state park in the keys, then we move to John Pennecamp for 3 days In Key Largo. We have an oceanfront RV site at long key and I learned the flat right In front of my site Is some of the best bone fishing In the middle keys. I figure I'll fish every morning before the family wakes up. I'm taking a boat also so I should get other fishing In to.

I tell you guys what, If you want to go to the Keys and do It cheap, the State Parks are the ticket. I'm only paying $29 a night and that's even cheaper than the state parks In NY. Hard part Is getting a reservation. They are booked solid, but reserve America Is a live site and you just have to check It numerous times a day and you can jump on a cancellation ;) You have to be ready when you see one though. I stumbled on 5 days that had just opened up at Bahia Honda SP and In the 3 minutes I was thinking about It It was gone! Worked out though cause the next day the opening popped up at Long Key :clap:

BTW, Nick sent me a vid on the double haul....now I get the screen name :$ I have a lot to learn In three weeks.