Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somethingnew

New the salmon fishing. What rod & reel and line do I need to troll for salmon

I have a 19 Grady and fish Canandaigua lake for rainbows, browns and lake trout.  I want to try salmon fishing this fall on Lake Ontario.  What rod & reel setup would you suggest I get.  I Am looking for a middle of the road setup.  This is entirely new to me what line size and leader etc.  Thanks in advance

If your set up to fish Canandaigua, I assume you may already have enough equipment. Lake O fish are much stronger so set your drags accordingly. Just a starting point

and you may get several differing comments, but this is a simple set up. Have reels with at least 300yards 30lb test

Two riggers, F/F , light color flies white flashers have worked best for me at this time.

1-2 Divers off each side, again I prefer F/F

If you wanted to run spoons, cheaters on riggers

If your not set up or familiar with meat rigs, stay with F/F and Spoons

Look for 52-58° temp if you have equipment.

You can also see where other boats are fishing and fish the same depth.

MOST IMPORTANT, DO NOT GET CLOSE TO OTHER BOATS, IF YOU CAN SEE PEOPLE YOU ARE TOOOO CLOSE.

Some boats will have coppers and rigs that are 400-500' out.

Fish temp and marks, 2.0-2-5 MPH, you may try slower and faster till you get bit. repeat, repeat..... 

Get more gear to depth of you first bite.

Have a great day!

Thank you, I have the equipment just smaller rod and reel setups. I will look tonight and see what I can find and get a few rods ordered. Thanks again.

Somethingnew you have a PM

Somethingnew,

I live about 15 minutes from Canandaigua lake but fish Ontario. Just a suggestion but how about we trade trips?

I can take you on Ontario for Salmon you take me for Rainbows and browns on Canandaigua.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• If you happen to catch a #20 salmon with a rod and reel attached...

Flying up Saturday morning for my annual trip with my Dad. He's been up per fishing when he can get out by himself (81 years young!)   He was in 639 FOW yesterday when he hit a nice salmon, about #20, and got it to the boat. Whatever happened, he was having a devil of a time netting the fish...   So he put the rod down to try and net the fish...   ... Missed the fish...   ... Fish takes off...   ... with the whole rig... tackle, rod, and reel...   Plus, when he went to try and grab t

in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)

• Fishing Tackle HUGE selection

located in East Irondequoit  My dad was a charter captain and passed away last year....  I am selling his collection of fishing tackle  As of today there's about 1500 brand new lures.  He preferred storing his lures in plastic tackle packs so although brand new many have been removed from their boxes.   I am open to reasonable offers but most of you know how expensive this stuff is so please serious offers only  Freshwater hard baits (over 275 left) $5 each Saltwater hard ba

in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent

• Daiwa 37h reel and pole

Bought a boat that has 4 Daiwa 37h reel and Daiwa rod for trolling. There in good shape just a couple need new line .$25 each . If interested contact me thru here or text 58547481two .     Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent

• Kring point fishing

I’m headed to Kring point Wednesday for 6 days. I’ve never been there before but I’ve read almost everything I can find on fishing up there. I was planning on just fishing in the bay that’s there but I read somewhere that it’s overwhelmed with weeds this time of year? Basically I’m just looking to catch anything that I can put in the cooler, pike, perch, if I’m lucky maybe come walleye or crappie. Anyone have any input, tips? Thanks. 

in St. Lawrence River Fishing Reports - 1000 Islands Fishing

• Creek Salmon eat Skein, but staging Salmon Don't bite

I have a friend that catches tons of salmon in the creeks and rivers on Skein. In fact two years ago he took me to the falls on the Genesee and we caught about 6 or 7 huge Kings on Skein. So why do I have such trouble getting a staging Salmon to hit, as I troll back and forth through a screen covered with salmon, trying everything in my arsenal? Usually this results in nothing but frustration. I'm wondering if if should just drift over them with Skein!   Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario

in Open Lake Discussion