Saddle hunting

I have hunted in a saddle and used climbing spurs. The mobility is phenomenal. However, it is challenging to get into a steady shooting position in a saddle. Also, I stopped using mine because I learned it was illegal to use climbing spurs for hunting. The laws may have changed. On the plus side, you can climb quite a bit higher 30-35ft in a good tree to manage your odor envelope and take one hell of a nap if so inclined[emoji4]. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have hunted in a saddle and used climbing spurs. The mobility is phenomenal. However, it is challenging to get into a steady shooting position in a saddle. Also, I stopped using mine because I learned it was illegal to use climbing spurs for hunting. The laws may have changed. On the plus side, you can climb quite a bit higher 30-35ft in a good tree to manage your odor envelope and take one hell of a nap if so inclined[emoji4]. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you! From what I read, spurs are illegal on stateland but I haven't read anything saying so on private land. I'll look into it. Do you have a set up you want to sell, or recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked into it after reading your post. I ordered the kestrel flexfit saddle. 10 week backorder so I guess I will have to wait until late bow season. Now I'm checking out ways to climb the tree. Looks like SRT single rope tree, or using a single strap on step may work for me. I hunt public lands so this may be best way for me to get way back in as I do, but without lugging a heavy tree stand.

Thank you! From what I read, spurs are illegal on stateland but I haven't read anything saying so on private land. I'll look into it. Do you have a set up you want to sell, or recommend?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I dont recall the make of my saddle.... i bought it around 2006 and all the branding has worn off. Its polypropylene and re enforced with heavy webbing. I used lineman pole climbing spikes. Took a little practice. I would recommend practicing climbing with the spikes prior to hunting. Also, when you get good you can climb with just ur hands but a strap is a lot easier. Particularly when hauling equipment up the tree. Good luck! Im getting itchy to pull my saddle out now. Lost 100# this year. Might just be able to get my fat butt up the tree[emoji23].