2019 WATERFOWL SEASON !!!!

If one was ever stopped by the law, what species would that fall under for your limit?
Good question . With the white spectrum above and below the blue on its wing , it would be considered a mallard. I bet most wouldn't even see that and call it a mallard anyway. Could probably argue it tho.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First impression is black duck, to me. Be interesting to see what an official might think. Or how to handle it. I’ve gotten some that were crossed, but not quite like that. Have you harvested any before?
Yes I have only shot a hand full of them With good crossing tho .

Should be part of your total bag of 6, you could use it as the "other species" or all other NYS ducks.  You could still use it as a Mallard or a Black but if I remember right you would still be legal if you shot 2 mallards ( 1 hen only), 2 blacks, and this hybrid for example.  If you wanted to be safe and not worry, include it one of the species it closely resembles.  If you do happen to get checked, do not say "Frogger said....."  lol  

On 12/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, longspurs said:

Got beat to the spot this morning, plan B not a good one froze out. Only seen 1 and it came in. Cool looking hybrid. IMG_20191208_080456.jpeg

Looks like an immuture drake. Has the mallard bill, right wing colors and greenhead starting. Mallard.  

Last year we shot a 7 man limit of Canvasbacks on Cayuga, all drakes, we shot a Canvasback Redhead hybrid that day and after talking with a friend who is a ECO he said we could count it towards either our Can or Redhead limit. We counted it towards our Redhead limit. A day I will never forget. We gave the bird to a friend who mounts nothing but birds. It is only the second such hybrid I have ever seen. Last week, my brother and his son and daughter shot a banded Can, it was banded in northern Saskatchewan in 2005 as an adult. Very cool.

Last year we shot a 7 man limit of Canvasbacks on Cayuga, all drakes, we shot a Canvasback Redhead hybrid that day and after talking with a friend who is a ECO he said we could count it towards either our Can or Redhead limit. We counted it towards our Redhead limit. A day I will never forget. We gave the bird to a friend who mounts nothing but birds. It is only the second such hybrid I have ever seen. Last week, my brother and his son and daughter shot a banded Can, it was banded in northern Saskatchewan in 2005 as an adult. Very cool.
Love to see pics of that bird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Back to the quarry this morning. A little bit slower than yesterday . Not sure if the weather had anything to do with it !! Cold windy and snowing perfect condition for Mallards. I think the holes going to freeze up ,off to new waters! Taking next 2 days off for deer. Resized_20191215_092813.jpegResized_20191215_092050.jpegResized_20191215_092057.jpegResized_20191215_084123.jpegResized_20191215_092127.jpeg

• Like 3

Today felt like opening day . There were people all over as expected now deer season is over . Had a back up plan the "black hole"... Nothing but black ducks most of the time and today was no different. We got our limit of blacks with a couple peach treats. Then back to the big water to finish out our limit . Couple Mallards and some squaws. Today involves a lot of work and driving around but it paid off. Resized_20191221_083452.jpegIMG_20191221_145245.jpeg