2019 WATERFOWL SEASON !!!!

Great couple of days for us. Yesterday I took my son and 2 friends hunting after I woke up from working my 3 nights. We, I should say they, killed a mixed bag of blacks, whistlers, redheads and bluebills, with my lab doing some great work. Then today I killed 2 more roosters over my lab Hank only to discover he tore the end of his ear wide open some time throughout the day. Got the bleeding to stop for now. That concludes my pheasant season, we killed over 30 pheasants over Hank this year. Such a pleasure to hunt over a good dog! Good luck and safe hunting!

I've hunted the sodus area since the mid 70s.The past few years goldeye populations have plummeted from previous years.

The only thing might be is contamination from zebra mussel .One day we drove east about 7 miles and found few ducks,little sightings ogg pultneyville also.Lots of geese but few if any ducks.Sodus had good shooting as the bay was froze out to the point.Today most of the bay is open with some south of grassy and third creek.Perch fishing was good in deep water.

The season has been open since Nov 30.. Birds ( divers specifically) have been getting pounded every weekend. The pressure makes them stale, shore shy, or even hell bent for shoe leather.
At least with the old season dates, the divers would get a chance to rest, find a feeding source and stick it out. Sure they might get stale, but by the 2nd week of January we usually had some nasty weather to push in new birds.
For me my love is shooting Cans and redheads... I gave it a serious attempt this year and tried to come into this season with an open mind.... Well my suspicions from last year were confirmed.
In all seriousness congrats to you guys who are getting after puddlers.. Just not my bag... Be safe

Thanks it's been real slow down here by Dunkirk I had 2 good trips in my layout boat getting mallards blues n red heads then everything disappeared for a while got some flooded fields right now that are bringing in some birds tho

Sent from my 5059S using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Yeah I have been staying on them mallards for the most part . Limits are horrible.
Season dates to start off... Opening day first half was cold 30 that night with some cold night before got them little ducks moving earlier so that didn't help for the early season. Most of my wood ducks spots they were gone. Thanks new York !!!!
The 2nd half well I'm in a mix about it . If the weather is cold I can do it all and if it warms up and rain ... I can chase mallards. Just have to hope some are still around in good numbers. Most of the mallard migration and other puddle ducks happen mid November when the season is closed.

They should have left the dates alone and messed with the limits first. Back at it tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

23 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

Correction for you. Southern zone ends Jan 13th

Correct, don’t know where I got 18th from. Must have been thinking PA ducks. This has been a super rough “late” season for me. It started off great, looked like it was gonna be cold, then spring sprung? This weather is terrible. My rivers are blown out and ducks are gone, the geese are around but have been in a leased field for 4 weeks and nobody hunts them so they have no reason to leave that field. Finally found some PA geese that were haunting me and got denied permission on the feed. Sad to say, but I am glad duck season ends tomorrow. I am defeated. Here’s to hoping I can find some honkers!

Couldn't bring myself to hunt popcorn ducks on the last day...
This is January ...Im supposed to be killing big Bull Cans... Instead I get to hunt stale birds that have been cracked at since Nov 30
Looks like I'm going to go on out of state hunts to have to get my Can fix.
Did grab a couple of mint redheads this AM....
0105200943b.jpeg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app