Preferred Down Speed and Rigger Lead Length

idn713

Been at this a while but I had a tough go of it this weekend with only a few mature Kings to show for it. Wires were dead silent and the riggers took all the fish. With that said, I know I could have done better. (Lake flip had some effect). 

So so as a general rule, what is your preferred down speed and distance from the ball? Just wanna make sure my basics are covered. 

I like 40 from the ball for the low rod and about 2.3-2.4. 

Here is a pic with my buddy after fighting his first ever mature king! 

AAFC3366-3635-4280-8B25-6C7F0B275810.jpeg

• Like 2

If you had "a few mature kings" you aren't doing anything wrong. There is a lot of water out there matures may be  'on the move" and probabilities play a role as does the fact that mature fish are starting to change from feeding response to that of aggression and with them at least the feeding urge may be starting to be reduced. Many folks tend to think that because they aren't slamming them at this time of year that they must be doing something wrong when that may not actually be the case. You may have to experiment a bit more starting about now and try to "provoke" strikes and in large part starting about now (or soon) you can pretty much throw water temps out the window they may be in 43 degree water and the next one in 70 degrees. Fish the marks and keep going back over them when you spot them and then change up speed,setups etc. and work at provoking them rather than just  looking for them to be on or near bait. Sometimes you have to vary trolling speed more than usual and set lines closer to the rigger weights.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I’ve had my leads as short at 10 feet. I feel like I have a better hook up rate if the rigger is deep and has a short lead over a long one. I’ll run anywhere from 2.2 to 3.3 at the ball until something sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Every day is different. 1.8 - 3.2 and leads from 10’ - 50’. If your divers are not going, longer leads , changing to spoons, changing depth are some things to try. Let the fish tell you what mood they are in that day and change up to fit their mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 2

2.0-3.2. I'll hold 2.5-2.8 as a standard. If it's working I stay with it. If nothing is working, I'll do some zig zags and if outside lines fire, speed it up, if insides fire, slow it down. I also like to hit idle on the troll master if things aren't working, to entice those followers. Tighter leads with bigger baits like spinnys and meat setups, and a touch longer with spoons but typically 12-20'. This is how I like to run my riggers, and I will be following this thread.

Last trip 35 rigger fired 14 back and that king was 5' out of the water before I could grab the rod...

• Like 2

2.3 to 2.5 has been my go to speed for the last 15 years. However, after a tip from a charter boat I cut my rigger leads in half. Kept them at 10' both low light and high light (bright afternoons) and I doubled my rigger hits this year. Before I was running 20 to 40' leads (40' in bright sun) Im now sold that the rigger torpedoes attract fish and you don't need long leads in bright sun light.  

• Like 2

I’ve always went 2.7 to 3.7. Over ground speed for kings. Slower for lakers and browns. I think kings will chase bait harder than trout. At that speed most strikes are kings or steelhead. I rarely catch lakers or browns at 2.7 or faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United