Been fishing out of Oswego the last 3 days.  Fish are scattered from 200-500 feet of water. There also coming from the ice water. Meat in 42 degree water has taken 90 % of our fish. A couple spoon bites.. Can’t buy a flasher fly bite. Nothing big yet for kings. All about the same in the high teens and low 20’s. Not seeing any staging fish yet. We will get 1 more  day in tomorrow before the big cold front comes through with big NW winds tomorrow evening and big waves Thursday and Friday. 

How high do the winds have to be from the North to make it uncomfortable out there?  I’m hoping to try on Saturday and as of now the forcast says 6mph from the north.  If that stays true it shouldnt be too choppy for my 19’ should it?

Finished up 5 days of fishing out of Oswego. Fish are all out deep. From 450 to 600’ with 600 being the best. Very few in shallower and even fewer staging out front. Meat and spoons were the ticket. Temp is at 70’ down. Many meat bites coming on the deep rigger parked at 100 with many spoon bites coming on the high rigger at 65’.  Our biggest king was 24 pounds with most in the high teens. Seems the fish are a few weeks behind schedule as they are still out deep feeding. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steelfire said:

Finished up 5 days of fishing out of Oswego. Fish are all out deep. From 450 to 600’ with 600 being the best. Very few in shallower and even fewer staging out front. Meat and spoons were the ticket. Temp is at 70’ down. Many meat bites coming on the deep rigger parked at 100 with many spoon bites coming on the high rigger at 65’.  Our biggest king was 24 pounds with most in the high teens. Seems the fish are a few weeks behind schedule as they are still out deep feeding. 

Can you elaborate on the spoons that have been working? I'm heading up for a 9 day trip out of Fairhaven and my Spoon program was poor on last trip. My favs didn't produce such as:  Sea Sick Waddler, Carbon 14, Orange Tux, Black Ice, 42nd, NBK., Mongolian Meat!.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, greenhornet73 said:

How high do the winds have to be from the North to make it uncomfortable out there?  I’m hoping to try on Saturday and as of now the forcast says 6mph from the north.  If that stays true it shouldnt be too choppy for my 19’ should it?

6mph will be no problem. Our general rule of thumb is N or NW @ 10mph, plan on 4 to 6 footers. In a very seaworthy, 25' boat, 4 foot seas are about as rough as we can comfortably fish in. 6's just take the fun out of it. I would say in a 19 foot boat, you'll need to be careful about not taking water over the transom in 4s plus.

23 hours ago, buckboardjr said:

Can you elaborate on the spoons that have been working? I'm heading up for a 9 day trip out of Fairhaven and my Spoon program was poor on last trip. My favs didn't produce such as:  Sea Sick Waddler, Carbon 14, Orange Tux, Black Ice, 42nd, NBK., Mongolian Meat!.

one spoon has over produced for me all summer and now again last week. I could not keep this spoon in the water the other day when we were out in 600' of water. I had this parked 40 feet above an Atommik stud meat rig and it took 14 hits and we boated 8 adults on it. Not sure what its called but fat nancys has them. Make sure you get the one that has the glow stripe on the bottom. There are several variations of this spoon but this one has the glow stripe on the bottom and out fishes all of them. It even out fished all of my true "go to" spoons this year.

Since your going to Fairhaven, I fished out of there the second and third week of July and this spoon was on fire there too!! :)

xzM9Z+pDT6C0jEL7iaIBUg.jpg

bp1httMLQdukaFXaUkNVoQ.jpg

Edited by steelfire

one spoon has over produced for me all summer and now again last week. I could not keep this spoon in the water the other day when we were out in 600' of water. I had this parked 40 feet above an Atommik stud meat rig and it took 14 hits and we boated 8 adults on it. Not sure what its called but fat nancys has them. Make sure you get the one that has the glow stripe on the bottom. There are several variations of this spoon but this one has the glow stripe on the bottom and out fishes all of them. It even out fished all of my true "go to" spoons this year.
Since your going to Fairhaven, I fished out of there the second and third week of July and this spoon was on fire there too!! [emoji4]
2102972521_xzM9ZpDT6C0jEL7iaIBUg.thumb.jpg.9dc77ba5da4c03ddb2c0c79b9d7f8840.jpg
bp1httMLQdukaFXaUkNVoQ.thumb.jpg.6ff40b1f71dfd21c7811ff9cac0fc1d9.jpg

It’s a Glo Green Alewife by Michigan Stinger

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been fishing here in fair haven all week. Having good success in 100-150 fow. Best bite is in the morning and evening. Mid day the fish do scatter. But been finding bait balls in that 100-150 all day. Ventured out to 400 plus a couple days. Didn't mark much but did get a few out there. Have caught on meat rigs spoon and flies. Meat and spoons been best for me. Most fish have been in the teens but some big ones are there too. My partner boat got a 24 pounder this afternoon in 125 fow.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1