I am fishing with a dipsy now.  The rod holder I use you have to pull it out of the holder and it a bit of a time waster and a pain.  I think they make a rod holder for trolling that you just lift up and it releases the rod.  Am I making sense.  Well anyway, what is the brand name for those rod holders as i would like to buy one  

thanks for the recommendations. I see that it has a locking mechanism that will hold the rod in as you are traveling.  Now, when i use a dipsey i try to have the rod holder horizontal, or as horizontal as i can get it.  My worry is that the rod will fall out when trolling. So this system will prevent that.  If i am doing it wrong feel free to set me straight.

I was nervous at 1st with the big john ones so I would hook a small bungee cord from reel to rod holder. That ended up being more or a hassle when the fish hit. I run my dipsey rod tips as close to the water as possible. I have never had an issue and I think it is because there is so much pressure on the rod running a dipsey that it wedges the rod in the holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a love/hate relationship with the Cannons. They have a weak spot where the split push pin fits into the rod holder tube. The hole is drilled really close to the edge and from time to time the metal splits and/or the pin shifts and they fail.

I do pull magnum divers on wire so maybe that combo is just too much for long-term durability under such a heavy sideways pull.

thanks for the recommendations. I see that it has a locking mechanism that will hold the rod in as you are traveling.  Now, when i use a dipsey i try to have the rod holder horizontal, or as horizontal as i can get it.  My worry is that the rod will fall out when trolling. So this system will prevent that.  If i am doing it wrong feel free to set me straight.
If your running dipsys, and trolling / moving, you aren't gonna have a rod just fall out of a holder.

I had a titelok holder with a spair rod in it fall last year, dropped tip down in the water. Thankfully I was moving and the pressure held the rod in even though it was basically straight down towards the water. I have since ditched titeloks as they do not have, well, tite loks.....
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, letsfish2day said:

I use traxtech ratcheting and love them!!! Had Bert’s before these. They were ok but prefer traxtech

I started to switch to the traxstech holders because of the 17 up and down positions for setting them. but I liked the 1 hand operation of the cannons so much better I switched back to the cannon. don't get me wrong the traxstech holders are great being able to adjust from 1 spot below level all the way up makes them one of a kind. but the cannon can be set with 1 hand. just squeeze and lower it down. makes it real nice when I have a rod in my hand. I found the cannon single axis on line for 74.00 each whereas the traxstech is around 135.00 now. the reason for the single axis is you can adjust them left to right as little or as much as you want up to 70 degrees. the double axis is adjusted from one pin hole to the next.