Rookie needs some help

Full disclosure, still near to salmon and trout fishing and need some help. Was out yesterday fishing the trench near Henderson and marked a lot along the bottom. About half appeared as if they were arching up to my bait but I only got one hit. IMG_2615.JPG

Had a few thoughts: (1) they were all lakers and didn’t want the flasher flys (2) speed wasn’t perfect as I don’t have a fish hawk and don’t know the speed at the ball. Boat speed was between 2.2 and 2.8 mph (3) wasn’t fishing long enough.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 minute ago, Dan.Riordan said:

Full disclosure, still near to salmon and trout fishing and need some help. Was out yesterday fishing the trench near Henderson and marked a lot along the bottom. About half appeared as if they were arching up to my bait but I only got one hit. IMG_2615.JPG

Had a few thoughts: (1) they were all lakers and didn’t want the flasher flys (2) speed wasn’t perfect as I don’t have a fish hawk and don’t know the speed at the ball. Boat speed was between 2.2 and 2.8 mph (3) wasn’t fishing long enough.

Not sure about that area but I launch out of Olcott and last few times I have been out current has been strong.  Having to do almost 5mph SOG to get 2.5 at the ball depending on direction.  Fish hawk worth its weight in gold but did not have on my old boat so I would watch blowback angle on rigger lines and listen as they will sort of howl or groan when going to fast.  Find the bait and keep going back over it that way you are changing directions a lot and you can get a feel for the current and adjust accordingly

1 hour ago, Dan.Riordan said:

More than likely all lakers, I've fished the trench a few times and caught lakers on flasher/fly combos there. Odds are your speed wasn't right or they just weren't hungry. Sunday in Mexico we trolled threw prolly 50+ marks in the 50-60ft range with riggers at 50 & 60 and couldn't move a rod. Sometimes they just don't want what you're offering.